Hikvision 1280ZJ-DM18 Junction Box Conduit Plug

jdomke1

n3wb
Reaction score
So, I bought one of these Hikvision 1280ZJ-DM18 junction boxes at Nelly Security whom I love. I wondered after receiving the junction box why they would put a threaded conduit opening on the side of the box and then not provide a plug. I would think a large number of people don't need to use conduit into the side of the box. For me I used the hole on the back of the box and drilled a hole into the side of my house, some 15' above the ground, and then just ran a Cat5 cable through. I then sealed both sides of the hole (inside and outside the house, and also around the entire box sealing it to the house. We don't get a lot of rain here but you never know. So, I took that ethernet cable and attached to the dome cameras plug. Since the camera is POE that was all I needed to do. So then you mount the camera to the junction box while jamming all the cables into the box, a very handy feature. Camera mounted to box, I then aimed the camera and put the security dome on top which completed the process. Then I look at the whole thing and wonder, why is there a hole on the side of the box and why didn't Hikvision provide one. I called Nelly and they had no clue why it's not included and they had no idea what the size is. After two trips, to Home Depot and OSH (Orchard Supply Hardware) I can only find one plug that is white and it doesn't fit. The pain is that these plugs come in bags of 4 and each cost $4 a bag. Pain in my ass...

So, the question for the wonderful folks on this forum, what have you done to plug the hole so bugs and the environment don't get in? What size is the plug and what do you do when all the plugs out there, apart from the white one that was too small, are all silver? Just paint them or ? Thanks for your help, I'm trying not to spend tons of time climbing up and down a 17' ladder to try out plugs. I'm disabled and I'd prefer to climb just one time more.

johngalt

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Haven't used these boxes, but if it is made for 1/2" or 3/4" conduit connectors, I would think "bell plugs" would work. They are usually metallic finish but I have seen white ones. search "bell plugs" on Home Depot's website.

jdomke1

n3wb
Reaction score
ah yes, right back to Home Depot and buying every size they have. I know for certain the 1/2" is way too small. Website shows 3/4", 1" 2 1/2" and 2 3/4". I'm going to guess they might be 3/4" or 1" but nothing else on this box is like regular junction boxes. In putting it up I dropped one of the camera mounting screws that came with it. Never found it and after taking one of the others into Home Depot discovered they are not the same size as other junction box screws. Ended up being a #4-40 3/8" which was only available online. These boxes are not like anything else and so far everything about them is custom which is why Hikvision should have included the plug. Thanks for the suggestions and I guess I'll keep running up and down the ladder trying different sizes.

johngalt

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
That's what we get for not adopting the metric system. I've never really thought about trade conduit sizes compared to the rest of the civilized world. Those Hikvision boxes may have a pretty standard thread in another country, but if that was the case we wouldn't have much use for them here.