Hikvision 2032 Power Draw

dbenoit64

n3wb
Reaction score
Good Day.

I am looking to install a Hikvision DS-2CD2032 3MP IR on a 12V battery and solar panel set up (using DC power not POE). Taking 12 snapshots per day on a 1 hour period. No IR and night time mode disabled.

I am wondering about amperage power draw (amount of milliamps and duration)...

On bootup.
IDLE.
While taking snapshot and
etc

or any other information that might be useful to me.

I cannot find anything on this camera besides that its 5W max.

Thanks in Advance.

Dave

CamFan

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Well, I don't have a plot of the actual current load at bootup and idle.

And these cameras don't store any snap-shots internally, they can send an email or upload to FTP. Look at the 2532.

You can't disable night mode on the 2032, you would have to snip the power lines to the IRLED PCBA. - EDIT - THIS IS WRONG, IT IS POSSIBLE

As a point of reference, my 2 x 2032, (and 2532 and 3332) cameras are drawing 2.7W daytime with IRLEDs off, doing in-camera motion detection, streaming to a Milestone server, single stream FW v5.2.0.

In nighttime, about 3.2W (average for 2 x 2032 and 2532), the 3332 EXIR is pulling ~4.9W. I'm feeding it 48VDC over POE, but I doubt the efficiency of the internal switching regulator (power supply) will vary at 12VDC, meaning it will draw about the same wattage at 12VDC.

These are static measurements off my POE switch (DGS-1100-8P), when I refresh the page, they jump a bit. So its plus or minus 0.25W. They are on a 2ft CAT5E cable, so negligible cable losses in that measurement. The POE switch is sending out 47.8V and jumping around between 51 & 60 mA (daytime).

So if you are sizing a battery to last 24 hours, you would need 3.2W x 24hrs = 77watt-hours. For a 12V battery, 6.4 amp hours, per camera. I like a little headroom, so I would do 2-3 times that for rainy days out here in sunny-land. And then size my solar panel to put out 30W-50W so I can recharge the battery in 6-7 hours.

Pay attention to the battery charger efficiency.

Last edited by a moderator:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
@CamFan, great info, but why do you say that you cannot disable night mode? If you place the camera in day mode only the ir leds will not engage...or you can simply disable the ir leds (even in night mode) and use external ir light...

Last edited by a moderator:

dbenoit64

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks very much @CamFan for the detailed reply.

Its funny because in the time between my Original Post and your reply, the battery died and the camera is offline (2015-01-30 16:59:59). Its installed in a remote location and takes a while to travel there so its even more important that I figure out these specs before I go out tomorrow to replace the battery and possibly upgrade the pane (currently 10W).

Your situation is quite different from mine:

You're running IR constantly, have motion detection and constantly streaming.
M camera basically sites idle for 95% of the time. It ftp's a snapshot one time per hour (during daylight hours 11 times). The FTP snapshot process takes maybe 2 minutes max (judging by the time it took to send the first snapshot when I powered it up).

I think its safe to assume, for the snapshot: 3.5 watts for 2 minutes 12 times per day.
I guess the major question is what kind of draw is it taking with IR off and just sitting idle...

-DB

dbenoit64

n3wb
Reaction score
Here are the results of the power draw test I did with a multimeter.
Camera has IR turned off. Note the camera attempts to ftp a picture right away but is offline.

A. Boot Up. -
Lasts 30 seconds exactly.
IR Stays ON during this period.
Current Draw is 220 mA.

B. Period between Bootup and Idle.
IR Shuts off.
power draw is 90-100 mA
Last 10 seconds.

C. Idle
IR is Still off (as expected)
power draw is 170 - 180 mA.
Remains in this state.

-DB

dbenoit64

n3wb
Reaction score
This still doesnt sound good.

If I have the modem idle at 0.135 amps per day
The camera idle at 0.170 amps per day.
3 hours of sunlight (this is average)

Thats 0.312 Amps her hour.

I would require a 74.96 Watt solar panel !!
And > 55 A/H battery. !!

Cant be right....

CamFan

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Ok, you are drawing .3A, but what voltage did you measure? 12.00V? The voltage at current measurement determines actual watts.

So assuming 12V, you are pulling about 3.7W all day long. This is 90 watt-hours per day, or 7.5 amp-hour battery needed for 24hours.

If it were me, I'd multiply that by 2-3 X and use a 20 amp-hour battery, which is 240W-hours. This should last almost 3 days.

If you want to charge that in 3 hours, you need 80W panel.

There are a few assumptions here
- Your 3 hours of daylight will produce 100% of the wattage
- You don't have significant inefficiencies in your charge circuit

Look into deep cycle batteries, you don't care about CCA, look at the datasheet for discharge curves showing you voltage over time at rates of discharge. Look at the number of charge/discharge cycles it supports. I used to like the hawker batteries, but the ones I used are no longer available, but look at the Enersys stuff (Oddysey/Genesis).