Hikvision 2542 failing IR-cut filter

nicobar

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi to all,

I have about two dozen Hikvision cameras in various locations all installed by me for personal use: 2142, 2542, and 2642.
Half of them, about a dozen, are mini-dome 2542. Of these and only these, two have their IR-cut filter fail after less than one year: the filters would remain parked in the night mode or day mode.
The cameras are all installed indoor on a vertical wall and powered by PoE via various Zyxel GS1900-8HP. I rule out power issues as the same cameras worked well for months, and other cameras (2142, 2642) still work attached to the same switches.
I opened the lens balls, shaked them, cycled the cameras between day and night, rebooted several times, but none of these actions fixed the IR-cut filters that seem to behave as they are unpowered: the filters move by hand (not stuck) but cameras cannot move them and I don't here the "click" sound at power up.
No firmware updates occurred before the filters stopped to work and all cameras, working and not working, have the latest firmware.
I am attaching a picture of the filter in question, that is screwed to the electronic base and glued to the lens, so it as the 12mm thread. It is marked as Hikvision.
Anybody knows where I can buy them? Any Google or AliExpress search I did, did not return the correct part. Hikvision USA is of no help as I bought the cameras on AliExpress. I would hate to have to rebuy $100+ cameras instead of a couple dollars part.

Attachments

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
I have replaced several M12 lens mounts with in-built IR-cut filters - but it is a bit of a lottery ensuring that the body of the mount is going to fit in the camera.
There is a big, big selection on Aliexpress, all very cheap, and usually with pretty good pictures of the items, and dimensioned diagrams.
You might have some luck just ploughing through some of the offerings and buying some on spec that look like they might fit OK.

Here is some where I've bought these in the past :
Buy Products Online from China Wholesalers at Aliexpress.com
Buy Products Online from China Wholesalers at Aliexpress.com

**edit** Oops - forgetting you can't just copy / paste Ali page addreses.

nicobar

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Resurrecting an old thread started by me. I think I finally found out what the problem is with these cameras. After removing countless times the cut filter, only to see that it was not stuck, but then once put back it would not work, I realized that the problem was at least with two cameras in excessively tightening the single screw that locks the camera sphere in place. Tighten lightly, IR filter works. Tighten a bit more, it does not work anymore! I resolved the problems for the 3 cameras I still had that had this problem!

nicobar

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Resurrecting this old thread of mine. More of these cameras failed on me again, there is clearly a systemic error. Of about 20 I own, 5 have a broken IR filter. Hikvision is of no help. In a very few cases the IR filter does work again for a while by disassembling it and reassembling it, and yes my finding to not tighten the optical bulb too much seemed it helped once or twice, but I have now 4 of these cameras where the IR filter is completely gone. Yet it never shows stuck. I think it's really "weak", a systemic problem with all these 2542 cameras. Perhaps the motor is too weak to start, as I tried to replace the IR filter from a camera spare that I head, and it worked, so it's not the electronic that drives the motor but the motor-filter itself.
Is it possible I am the only one having this problem? I could never locate the exact filter mode on ALI express, their search engine is worse than Amazon :-(
I wished I never bought any of these 2542 cameras, I am at a loss, any help?