Hikvision 4k camera quality is poor

djstar

n3wb
Reaction score
I have recently purchased a DS-2CD2085FWD-I 8MP 4K camera. At present i haven't go the camera connected to a NVR, im recording direct to a SD card.

the SD card i have got is a 128Gb sandisk class 10 100Mb/s. When i take the memory card out of the camera and view the video on a computer the quality is not what i expected for a 4K camera.

i see that there are Various settings such as bit rate, video quality etc which i have been changing but that seems to make very little difference. i have attached a screen shot of the settings im using.

i am very new to the world of video/cctv so i apologise if this is a trivial question and im missing something obvious.
IMG_3123.PNG

FrankMCN

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Post some screenshots of the actual recordings. Also try H265, its more efficient - you'll get better image quality at the same bitrates.

marku2

Known around here
Reaction score
Leave the card in open the web page up and look at the recording via the web page and see what it looks like

Reaction score
I have recently purchased a DS-2CD2085FWD-I 8MP 4K camera. At present i haven't go the camera connected to a NVR, im recording direct to a SD card.

the SD card i have got is a 128Gb sandisk class 10 100Mb/s. When i take the memory card out of the camera and view the video on a computer the quality is not what i expected for a 4K camera.

i see that there are Various settings such as bit rate, video quality etc which i have been changing but that seems to make very little difference. i have attached a screen shot of the settings im using.

i am very new to the world of video/cctv so i apologise if this is a trivial question and im missing something obvious.
View attachment 23807
Try switching H.264+ OFF

Trax95008

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
i think your bit rate seems low... i use that same bit rate on my 4MP cams. i would assume yours should be higher. (although that could cause issues when viewing over the web) also, post a pic of your image settings page. theres a few things there that can cause a bad picture

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
you might be recording a lower quality substream to the sd card.

marku2

Known around here
Reaction score
Also check what write speed you sd card is it needs to have a fast speed card for 4K like a GoPro would use 95kbs+ cards

cctvukuser

n3wb
Reaction score
You need to expand on what you're expecting.

Apart from the above noted use of .265 vs .264 it would be interesting to see the settings of your image quality and exposure. I've 2 x HIK 4k cameras and both are stellar during the day and acceptable at night.

AusGuy

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
You need to expand on what you're expecting.

Apart from the above noted use of .265 vs .264 it would be interesting to see the settings of your image quality and exposure. I've 2 x HIK 4k cameras and both are stellar during the day and acceptable at night.

Hi mate, do you mind posting your settings?

cctvukuser

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi mate, do you mind posting your settings?
Away at the moment but off the top of my head.

H265 (not +)
Max normal bit rate 8192
Max event bit rate 16384
Exposure : 1/150
i-frame : 10
Contrast : 40
Brightness : 45
Saturation : 55
WDR : 10
NR : 50

That's all i can remember but they stick out as the ones i kept tweaking to balance overall quality and to reduce smearing upon playback for fast moving objects (people in my case).

AusGuy

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Away at the moment but off the top of my head.

H265 (not +)
Max normal bit rate 8192
Max event bit rate 16384
Exposure : 1/150
i-frame : 10
Contrast : 40
Brightness : 45
Saturation : 55
WDR : 10
NR : 50

That's all i can remember but they stick out as the ones i kept tweaking to balance overall quality and to reduce smearing upon playback for fast moving objects (people in my case).
Thanks, I'll check mine and compare.

Trax95008

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Your exposure caught my attention. All of my cams are either 1/30 or 1/12. Is your camera in an excessively bright area that you need such a fast exposure?

cctvukuser

n3wb
Reaction score
Your exposure caught my attention. All of my cams are either 1/30 or 1/12. Is your camera in an excessively bright area that you need such a fast exposure?
A faster minimum shutter speed to capture faster moving subjects. If i use 1/25 (PAL region) at night i will struggle to capture decent moving footage even if it produces a much better lit picture.

As an example :