Hikvision 4k colorvu acusense turret focus

Uhdcam

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi all,

can these cameras focus be adjusted? For some reason it appears to be set up to be in focus like 4m away and anything closer is blurry. Can this be changed? It’s a 2.8mm lens.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yes, you can pop it open and manually adjust. Threads here talking about it.

Uhdcam

n3wb
Reaction score
Yes, you can pop it open and manually adjust. Threads here talking about it.
Oh really? I had a look and couldn’t see any thought it was because this is a new camera. Let me have another look!

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
It is basically the same regardless of which Hikvision model you have. You can probably follow the Dahua ones as well.

It is basically open up the camera, break off the glue on the thread of the lens and rotate it.

triumph202

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Keep in mind adjusting the focus for closer objects will affect the focus for distant objects. You may be able to find a better balance between the two by adjusting it.

Parley

Known around here
Reaction score
I have done that with a couple of mine. I think I posted a thread on it. The cameras are Hikvision DS-2CD2087
G2-L. One was a 6mm on the other was a 4mm

triumph202

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
You can change lenses too. I've done it on some older 4MP Hik cameras, I've run up to a 12mm lens for a long and narrow side path.

It would be interesting to try say an f2.0 lens. The depth of field (minimum focus distance) would improve, but the low light sensitivity would take a hit. How much the low light sensitivity decreases would be interesting to see.

Uhdcam

n3wb
Reaction score
Tbh just purchased, not happy. What’s the best thing I can do? Does it mean I need to ditch colorvu? Just wanted clear 4k image?? Can’t believe there isn’t an external focus toggle if this is the case

triumph202

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
an’t believe there isn’t an external focus toggle if this is the case
The lenses are a screw mount and pre focused at the factory. The Colorvu cameras use a wide aperture lens (which lets in more light), but the down side to that is the depth of focus (the distance range in focus) will be reduced. The specs do mentioned the minimum focus distances, for your 2.8mm it's

Depth of Field 10 ft 2 in (3.1 m) to ∞

All fixed focus cameras will suffer from this, but the range in focus will vary from camera to camera. You can refocus it to suit your particular needs, but keep in mind adjusting it for closer distances will most likely put distant subjects out of focus.

A varifocal camera will suit you better, but they cost a lot more and last time I checked there weren't any 8MP Colorvu varifocal cameras. The focus on them is electronic, they will auto focus or you can (electronically) manually adjust it to suit.

Uhdcam

n3wb
Reaction score
The lenses are a screw mount and pre focused at the factory. The Colorvu cameras use a wide aperture lens (which lets in more light), but the down side to that is the depth of focus (the distance range in focus) will be reduced. The specs do mentioned the minimum focus distances, for your 2.8mm it's

All fixed focus cameras will suffer from this, but the range in focus will vary from camera to camera. You can refocus it to suit your particular needs, but keep in mind adjusting it for closer distances will most likely put distant subjects out of focus.

A varifocal camera will suit you better, but they cost a lot more and last time I checked there weren't any 8MP Colorvu varifocal cameras. The focus on them is electronic, they will auto focus or you can (electronically) manually adjust it to suit.
thank you. I never realised. So it states 3.1m to infinity that I assume is the factory set focus. Is there any spec sheet where I can see the minimum focus point that it can do?i need it in focus by 1m really and am happy to pay the price of further being out of focus.

I did think I hadn’t seen any 4k varifocal…. thanks for your help so far

triumph202

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I never realised. So it states 3.1m to infinity that I assume is the factory set focus. Is there any spec sheet where I can see the minimum focus point that it can do?i need it in focus by 1m really and am happy to pay the price of further being out of focus.
3.1m is the closest it will focus (as set up by the factory so the focus to infinity is correct.) As mentioned, the only way to change it- so it is focused at 1m- is to pull the camera apart and adjust the screw mounted lens. It's not something I'd recommend doing unless you're familiar with working on electronics. I've done it on older model Hik cameras, but also am an electronics tech. The focus will need to be adjusted with the camera apart and running, that's make it more involved as you need to be sure to not short anything out.

Myself, I'm not too keen on pulling any expensive new camera apart.

That varifocal I posted is also only a 4MP camera- not 8MP/ 4k. If you only require a camera for monitoring objects/ subjects at 1m then 8MP is overkill IMHO.

IAmWatchingYou!

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
@Uhdcam What did you end up doing regarding the focus issue? I've been eyeing this camera, and current;y have the competing Dahua 4K color turret at the moment which I am also experiencing the near focus issues as these cameras have the same optical specs.
I'm also curious what you think of the 2387 outside of the focus issues? Are you using the human and vehicle detection?