HikVision 7608NI/SE died... and then replacement unit also dies!

DrBo

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hahaha... funny that you mention LHC - 5 minutes ago my 12-year old son just read (in Guinness' Book of World Records) about the computer power of the LHC! :) Only relation to LHC though is that I have made optical cables for them (and fibers subjected to radiation needs to be very rugged indeed!) - but Geneva is still a good 1000 miles away from here...

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The World Wide Web was created by CERN specifically for collaboration on the scales needed for projects like the LHC, here is a link to the very first webpage on the internet: http://info.cern.ch/hypertext/WWW/TheProject.html

Making cables for the LHC is very cool connection (pun intended), that series of tubes is extremely important :D

DrBo

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
A few more pieces of correspondence in the tale of the broken NVR...

From HikVision:
"There are many factors would cause NVR freeze, I have no way to figure out the specific reason. However cut off the power immediately without shutdown is an usual one at least according to my experience.I use V2.3.7 Build131112, because it is a stable firmware. If you want to install V3.0.9 Build140928, i can do it for you. But it is the newest firmware, it was published in 28 sep, i have not tested its stability. Also i think you do not want to ship the PCB back again to restore the firmware. I advice you to update month later if there is no complain about the newest firmware. "

My subsequent comments/questions:
"Regarding the firmware, I would like the most stable version available - even if it means loss of some functions. I have however been unable to perform any upgrade of the firmware, as I received the " Upgrading failed, no enough flash memory" error, regardless of the version I tried to upgrade to... This seems to be a frequent problem for many people, when looking at the various CCTV fora?

As for the necessity to cut the power ("hard power off") without shutting down ("soft power off"): As mentioned, it was the only way of rebooting the NVR at several occasions! If the NVR for some reason had frozen (for instance during playback), it was no longer possible to perform a "soft reboot" or "soft power off".

I may consider obtaining a UPS - but it still does not solve potential problems caused by the NVR freezing.."

Will be interesting to hear what they have to say..
:worried::worried::wondering::wondering:

Ramias

n3wb
Reaction score
I installed 3.09 from the Europe site and my NVR won't boot. Suggestions on what I should do?

DrBo

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I installed 3.09 from the Europe site and my NVR won't boot. Suggestions on what I should do?
Hmm... that's not good. I have no experience myself using this tool, but maybe http://www.hikvision.com/europe/support_more.asp?id=269 can help you. Should be available from their FTP-site (ftp://hikvisioneurope.com/portal/Technical Materials/Special Tools/), even though I cannot access the FTP-server. Some googling however leads to http://www.hikvision.com/europe/download_more.asp?id=1337 - maybe its the same. Apparently, you have to use TFTP to get it up and running ("This little program (Fig. 1) is normally used for recover IP cameras from firmware corruption").

Based on HikVision's engineers reply to my ordeal described above, I will definitely stay away from new firmware until they have rooted out the not-that-good coding!! Seems I will stay with V.2.3.7 131211 - note what the engineer from HikVision writes: ""I use V2.3.7 Build131112, because it is a stable firmware. If you want to install V3.0.9 Build140928, i can do it for you. But it is the newest firmware, it was published in 28 sep, i have not tested its stability. Also i think you do not want to ship the PCB back again to restore the firmware. I advice you to update month later if there is no complain about the newest firmware. "

Last edited by a moderator:

Ramias

n3wb
Reaction score
Tak for det!

Yes, the tftp path eventually fixed this. I feel lucky :).

Still debugging a few things but at least my NVR is no longer a brick.

DrBo

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Tak for det!

Yes, the tftp path eventually fixed this. I feel lucky :).

Still debugging a few things but at least my NVR is no longer a brick.
Selv tak! :wink-new:

Any speciel tips & tricks you can share using the TFTP tool? Do I just have to RTFM, or is there anything else to keep in mind..?

Ramias

n3wb
Reaction score
Only tip: use a working tftp server :).

The one you found was on the Hikvision site so try that first. I didn't find that one but instead tried a few free/shareware ones that I regret spending the time on... they did not work for me.

I eventually found this one via a thread in another camera forum: http://hikvision.msk.ru/download/Firmware/update_firmware_IP.zip

I can't comment on the security of the source so use at your own risk.

And I found this video:

make sure your PC's IP is 192.0.0.128.

Firewall turned off.

davinci.dav file in the same folder as the tftp server executable.

And leave the dvr plugged in and powered on for 5 - 10 minutes after the tftp server says the file transfer is complete.

And pray.

The steps with your tftp server may be different.

worlando

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
From HikVision:
" ...If you want to install V3.0.9 Build140928, i can do it for you. But it is the newest firmware, it was published in 28 sep, i have not tested its stability. Also i think you do not want to ship the PCB back again to restore the firmware. I advice you to update month later if there is no complain about the newest firmware... "
This is pretty scary from a manufacturer. I guess they use the public as the testers. So much for Quality Control, yikes!