Hikvision 8 camera system purchase from scratch help

Reaction score
Hey everyone, so after a very lengthy battle of 9 months I was finally able to get my money back for a camera system I had purchased from a local installer who took my money and ran!. Thank god for my credit card company is all I can say. So now that I have money in hand I plan to purchase and personally install my Hikvision system , hopefully purchased and installed within the next 2 weeks as the recent surge of criminal activity in my area is just nuts.

2 attempts at having my truck taken in the last 4 weeks, both times I was able to catch the individuals in the act both were arrested and charged ages 16 and 17. My neighbor had a license plate removed this past Friday night, and just last night I called in a BE two houses up where 4 teens x2@ age 16 one age 17 and another 14 were charged and arrested.. I live in a very nice part of a small town with the best neighbors I could ask for, oddly enough which is considered the " desired area of town" as its mostly made up of retirees which is excellent. These little delinquents seem to come from the new sub divisions where most families have moved here from large cities. I can only imagine the shit going on which I haven't been awake to hear or sitting outside to see at night, so now it's Go time and I could really use the expertise of you guys!.

Looking for an 8 camera IP system from scratch:

-The furthest camera from the house will watch my out building entrance at 55' (as I don't have power to the outbuilding)
-The other 3 or 4 ( for now) will watch: my driveway, side door and window of my garage, rear patio doors to the kitchen, and possibly another out front for a full view of the yard out to the street which is roughly 70ft.
- One of the front cameras may catch my neighbors driveway and vehicles ( which he'd be very happy with)
-My absolute main concerns are my driveway, outbuilding entrance, and garage door entrance.
-I have a dusk-dawn motion light at the garage man door and 2 on either side of the main roll up door so my driveway and side entrance has good lighting.
-The back yard is much darker but has some dim ambient lighting coming from a park. The out building is already armed with a 110db motion sensor alarm and 110db door break alarm.

Things I want in the system:

-I'm not sure what size MM of lens to look for, for those various points even after reading many different articles here.
-I would like dome cameras, (to be a bit more discreet) Must survive the cold Canadian winters! and preform well at night. As this is when the little jerks congregate :mad-new:
( I've seen some great Hik night shots here)
-Plan to use a NVR but unsure if an 8ch NVR will be able to record 8 cameras at 1080P HD? Maybe a larger NvR? ( I'd obviously like the best recording quality possible) to identify suspects etc
-Hopefully an NVR with matrix display as I have a lot of trees and plants moving in the wind ( not sure if this is standard in NVR's)
-Remote viewing for my phone at work, email and text alerts etc, and for my parents to be able to check the place on camera for me while I'm on nights
-I'm only on nights 3-4 days in a row and unable to review footage.. so I don't need a ridiculous amount of storage before overwrite.
-Considering battery back up as well
-Cat 5 or 6 or what type of cable for best results?

My budget is around the $1,500 area and I don't mind it being slightly more or less as long as it gets me the best bang for the buck!. After all this isn't something to cheap out on in my opinion, especially when it will be relied on to safeguard my property and contents while I'm away for work etc.

If you guys can toss me your two cents worth I'd highly appreciate it as I'm new to this even after reading a ton of post's here and elsewhere!. Camera part #'s etc so I can look them up or even use them to order, things I've missed, etc. Thanks for all your help in advance guys and girls! :) - Joe