Hikvision Acusense 8MP motion blur

flyinghack

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi, Recently purchased an 8MP Hikvision Acusense camera after a recent break in. I'm a IT professional however this is my first time buying an IP camera. The Camera works great however there seems to be significant ghosting / motion blur. I've had a read of the forum for possible solutions such as increase the exposure time / reduce NDR to 25 however nothing seems to have helped so far. I've uploaded an example image + my camera configuration. See the link below for the 10 images:

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
To me, that doesn't necessarily look like motion blur. Looks like a video/codec issue. How are you recording?

I use Dahua cams and not Hik, but most of the same rules apply. You generally want to decrease the exposure time not not increase it to fix motion blur issues. If those settings are for your daytime only then you can go way faster than 1/175. Dahua lets you pick a range. Does Hik give that option? If so, use something like 0ms - 1ms for daytime. Also, set your iframe to either your fps or double your fps. I have mine set to double my fps. You may want to turn down the WDR option as well. That can also lead to blurring.

lewic

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
There would be a few items I would check. Go into the camera settings.

1) Is it on CBR or VBR? Either one is okay. Mine is set to VBR. Make sure the max bitrate is high enough.
2) What is the Max Bitrate? Having this too low will cause issues depending on if it is set to H264/H265.
3) What is the FPS? (Frames per second) If it is too low then may cause image issues. Anything 12-15 FPS will give a smooth motion. You can always have higher which will be smoother in higher motion moments in expense of higher use of HDD space.

Old Timer

Known around here
Reaction score
Being an IT guy, look at network congestion also.
If you stuff too much down a slow connection, you can have problems.

yeyeyes

n3wb
Reaction score
From what I've seen this is an issue with WDR and HLC from this series. Please try to disable WDR.
(And either don't enable HLC or only with a low value)

venturis

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Did you manage to find a solution? I wanted to share my experience with the same problem.

Having just commissioned a new 2CD2386G2 cam I was surprised when I reviewed yesterday's recorded footage to find that at almost ever single instance where a moving object crossed the scene that the entire image would suddenly become semi-frozen. The moving object would exhibit digital ghosting for almost the entire width of the frame and only clear after a few seconds of inactivity.

I know the issue was not related to wiring or network devices since the new cam replaced another Hikvision 8MP cam which did not exhibit any of these problems.

The 2CD2386G2 was configured with H.256+, WDR enabled at 20%, 4096 max ave bit rate and 8192 max bit rate @ 15 FPS and I-frame at 20.

The NVR I am using is a Hikvision 7608NI/I2-8P which should be more than capable than handling the data rates that an 8MP IP cam will produce.

The immediate fix to the problem was to drop the max average bit rate to 3072 and the frame rate to 10FPS.

Since making this change the issue as not resurfaced.

I'm not sure which of the two changes of bit rate or frame rate was responsible for resolving the issue. More testing is needed but it looks like the cam or NVR does not handle the sudden increase in the data rate when the scene changes from a largely static image to a dynamic image when a fast moving object enters the field of view.

Last edited:

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
That's far too low a bitrate for that camera and FPS shouldnt be the issue. If it cant run at least 8192 and 15FPS why bother?

WDR at 100% is going to look like crap no matter what. I dont know HiK cameras but on Dahua anything over about 20% is too much.

Try CBR (Not Variable), and matching FPS to IFrame

venturis

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
It's probably a bit off topic but I find that the bit rates I mentioned previously work just fine for what I do. My objective is not to get the absolute best image that I can extract from the cam by going OTT on the bit rates but rather i try to balance the need for image quality over storage requirements.

In my experience I've found an average bit rate of 3072 gives me enough detail to render license plates at 20-25 meters while keeping storage required to a respectable level so that I have about 2 weeks of history.

I agree however that this cam should be capable of running at 8192mbps all day, every day without glitching.

I also agree that CBR produces better results than VBR but again at the expense of storage.

venturis

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
A quick update on this issue.

I checked the day's footage last night and found that at almost every instance where a person moved across the scene, the image would break up and the person would have a "digital" trail for the entire width of the image.

It appears that lowering the bit rate did not resolve the problem.

I did find by accident that when I reviewed the same recorded footage on my Ipad using IVMS4500, there was no corruption.

Based on the image in the first post, @flyinghack appears to be using IVMS4200 for playback which is exactly what I'd been trying.

Looks like the problem could actually be with IVMS4200 decoding the image rather than any issue with the camera or network.

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
Lowering the bit rate would make the image worse not better...

You need to download a clip to a computer and play it back from there to see if there are problems with the recording. That is what law enforcement would have to do if you gave it to them so you need to simulate their experience. If you give them garbage footage then its useless. They won't have access to IVMS4500 or anything like that. They need just a raw .mp4, avi, mpg, etc...

venturis

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The point I wanted to make was simply that my initial assumption was that the corruption was due to high bit rates not being handled by the NVR. Turns out it was not the NVR but looks to be IVMS4200.

What you choose to do with your cam settings after that is up to you.

ausmisc

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
A quick update on this issue.

I checked the day's footage last night and found that at almost every instance where a person moved across the scene, the image would break up and the person would have a "digital" trail for the entire width of the image.

It appears that lowering the bit rate did not resolve the problem.

I did find by accident that when I reviewed the same recorded footage on my Ipad using IVMS4500, there was no corruption.

Based on the image in the first post, @flyinghack appears to be using IVMS4200 for playback which is exactly what I'd been trying.

Looks like the problem could actually be with IVMS4200 decoding the image rather than any issue with the camera or network.

Hi,

The ghosting / trailing is generally noise reduction, I run my G2 Acusense at 40% noise reduction because of this. Also If anyone else is having issue with image quality and the freezing on motion for this camera see my other post. HERE

Also, disable WDR and set your exposure to 1/50 minimum. A General rule is, all the "digital" enhancements will ultimately make your image quality worse. Sometimes you need a little WDR or black area depending on the scene but if you can avoid using these settings please do.

Also people often mistake FPS for shutter speed, if you want sharp images you need to lower your exposure time. You could run 2 fps with 1/750 exposure and capture number plates all day.

Also please note that the "exposure" setting in the camera is a minimum. Because of this do your testing in bad lighting so it sits on the minimum set exposure so you can get an accurate result. Eg full day light may force the camera to 1/1000 which will yield tack sharp number plates but if it's cloudy and it falls back to the minimum you set "1/50" you may find you now get motion blur. Once it's really dark and the camera has to turn the ISO up you will now get noise in the image will further reduce the quality.

If you need to capture number plates at night you will need probably at least 12mm lens looking at the street ideally less than 20%. You will have to turn the shutter speed to at least 1/250 - 1/750 depending on the road speed.If you manually set your camera to "Night" or set a schedule for "night" you will now get the gain controls under the exposure section. For your camera do not go higher than 40 on gain. You will expect the image to be nearly pitch black at this point. You will get a sharp clear number plate in any weather condition with these settings. please see attached example photos.

If you need help getting number plates please PM me and I can explain further.

Example images are with following settings: Your camera will not be able to do this as it needs to be a tighter lens, say 12mm and also you will need longer IR range at your distance.

Mode: Night 24/7 (If have other cameras that can get the color if needed) IR mode is more forgiving during the day with shadows and light changes ETC.
Gain: 30
IR: 80M 100%
Exposure: 1/750
Noise Reduction: 30 (Removes Ghosting)
Digital Enhancments: Off
I Frame: 50 (They say match FPS but I leave mine at 50 because default)
BitRate Type: Constant
Res: 8MP do not go below 6144 bitrate, 8MP does need a fair amount of bandwidth

SpeedZone: 60 kmph (tested at 110 same settings)

Attachments

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
^^^^^^^
THIS

True for just about any camera for LPR

* I run my LPR cameras at 1/1000 - 1-2000 but it all depends on the scene and perhaps you can run 8MP cams at the slower shutter speed than the 2MP ones I use.

ABCcam

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Seems this is still a problem 2 years later for HIkvision 8MP cams?

DS-2CD2686G2-IZS with most recent firmware - V5.7.10 build 220830

Issues
1. Blurring - anything that moves - any exposure setting does not remove this - the picture is generally clear but there is a slight 'blur trail' on anything that moves and intermittently a lot of blur on some movement.
- We use the cam for live streaming wildlife - obviously this is a big issue.
2. Freezing picture - when there is movement after a short time of relatively static image
3. Bad light management - HLC & WDR
- HLC makes the whole picture darker instead of just minimizing the bright spots (same setting on 4MP & 5MP HIK's does not have this issue - HLC works perfectly)
BLC setting does not have any effect at all
- WDR is better to balance the light without general darkening but tends to give a 'washed out' effect - as though everything blends - bad contrast
4. Flicker at night - intermittently the picture flickers - with or without any apparent movement or change in lighting

All of these issues have been noted by others in similar posts to this and has been an issue since 2020.
Does not look like HIK vision has been able to fix it with firmware?

ausmisc

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Seems this is still a problem 2 years later for HIkvision 8MP cams?

DS-2CD2686G2-IZS with most recent firmware - V5.7.10 build 220830

Issues
1. Blurring - anything that moves - any exposure setting does not remove this - the picture is generally clear but there is a slight 'blur trail' on anything that moves and intermittently a lot of blur on some movement.
- We use the cam for live streaming wildlife - obviously this is a big issue.
2. Freezing picture - when there is movement after a short time of relatively static image
3. Bad light management - HLC & WDR
- HLC makes the whole picture darker instead of just minimizing the bright spots (same setting on 4MP & 5MP HIK's does not have this issue - HLC works perfectly)
BLC setting does not have any effect at all
- WDR is better to balance the light without general darkening but tends to give a 'washed out' effect - as though everything blends - bad contrast
4. Flicker at night - intermittently the picture flickers - with or without any apparent movement or change in lighting

All of these issues have been noted by others in similar posts to this and has been an issue since 2020.
Does not look like HIK vision has been able to fix it with firmware?
Hey,

I have not really had an issue in the last year, also I believe the latest firmware is 5.7.11 now.

Can you post some example footage or images of the issue?

Is the Camera behind an NVR or just standalone?

ausmisc

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thank you - will check if that firmware is compatible

vid examples:

Hey,
Had a look at the stream for a few hours and it looks fine for me haha. The ghosting I think you’re talking about is probably the noise reduction. Looks like your lighting is controlled so you may want to make a schedule for night and day and have different settings for both. I would try manually setting the gain to 50% and reducing the noise reduction to maybe 35/40. You will never get rid of real motion blur from the birds, especially their wings as they just move way too fast. If you’re only getting trailing/ghosting randomly it could just be the unit not keeping up and it’s just a limitation of the camera. I use the 2387g2 for most things now and it’s not great at times, maybe we are expecting too much from a $300 camera :).

ABCcam

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
There is different settings for day vs night.
Day has DNR turned off.
Night has DNR on at 40% - without DNR and DNR at lower values gives a grainy picture

Managed to at least get rid of the flickering at night.
2 things help to get rid of flickering : I Frame = 5 & turn off any motion / smart detection.
The picture freezing also seems to be caused by motion / smart detection.
That is unacceptable - event recording should not affect live view.

Actually I do expect this and more from a HIKvision $300 cam.
They are supposed to be one of the best. If they produce and market a 8MP / 4K cam I expect it to perform as advertised - i.e. better than a Chinese knock-off.
If it costs more to produce a cam with acceptable 8MP/4K quality then produce the quality cam and sell it at that cost.
Don't purposefully make a bad performance quality cam simply to make it cheaper.

I have been using HIKvision 4 & 5MP cams for many years and never had any issues like this despite birds moving at whatever speed.
The blur from moving fast is not the same as what is happening on this cam. On the 4MP & 5MP cams all that occurs is there is not enough frames per second to get a clear picture.
The 4MP 5MP & 8MP cams are all maximum 25fps so there should not be any difference.
On this 8MP cam it appears that the processor is too slow and takes a while to catch up.