Hikvision Acusense 8MP motion blur

ausmisc

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
There is different settings for day vs night.
Day has DNR turned off.
Night has DNR on at 40% - without DNR and DNR at lower values gives a grainy picture

Managed to at least get rid of the flickering at night.
2 things help to get rid of flickering : I Frame = 5 & turn off any motion / smart detection.
The picture freezing also seems to be caused by motion / smart detection.
That is unacceptable - event recording should not affect live view.

Actually I do expect this and more from a HIKvision $300 cam.
They are supposed to be one of the best. If they produce and market a 8MP / 4K cam I expect it to perform as advertised - i.e. better than a Chinese knock-off.
If it costs more to produce a cam with acceptable 8MP/4K quality then produce the quality cam and sell it at that cost.
Don't purposefully make a bad performance quality cam simply to make it cheaper.

I have been using HIKvision 4 & 5MP cams for many years and never had any issues like this despite birds moving at whatever speed.
The blur from moving fast is not the same as what is happening on this cam. On the 4MP & 5MP cams all that occurs is there is not enough frames per second to get a clear picture.
The 4MP 5MP & 8MP cams are all maximum 25fps so there should not be any difference.
On this 8MP cam it appears that the processor is too slow and takes a while to catch up.
I defiantly have a different view on this :D, for $300 what other camera can do what these do? nothing from Dahua. If you can find one, go get it haha. $300 is crazy cheap for camera with this much performance and feature set. I would love for them to be perfect but that's not realistic, there are too many variables. You may want to look into cameras from AXIS or similar higher end makers. IMO your stream quality is more than good enough, better then 99% of other cam streamers, should be proud of that. If you find a solution, please let me know.

ABCcam

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I defiantly have a different view on this :D, for $300 what other camera can do what these do? nothing from Dahua.
You are 100% correct - that's why i don't use Dahua :). Have tried Dahua, Vivotek, Reolink, Xiaomi - they don't even come close.

My expectation of HIKvision is due to experience with the cheaper 4MP & 5MP HIKvision cams.
They are perfect!
yes, they don't have the super resolution but they work exactly as described and never have any weird ghosting or flickering.

Not sure if i should try the firmware you posted - HIKvision Africa support do not have any record of that and are quite emphatic that the cam has the latest firmware.

ausmisc

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
You are 100% correct - that's why i don't use Dahua :). Have tried Dahua, Vivotek, Reolink, Xiaomi - they don't even come close.

My expectation of HIKvision is due to experience with the cheaper 4MP & 5MP HIKvision cams.
They are perfect!
yes, they don't have the super resolution but they work exactly as described and never have any weird ghosting or flickering.

Not sure if i should try the firmware you posted - HIKvision Africa support do not have any record of that and are quite emphatic that the cam has the latest firmware.
HikVision Australia say the same thing but I never have an issue using the Europe portal for cameras and nvr firmware. It’s up to you, have bricked many things in the past even when the firmware came from the suppliers here in Australia so it’s always a risk unfortunately. If you have good local support they can fix it pretty quickly at least.

The best way to tell if it should work is download the one from your region latest and get the same one from Europe portal then compare the file hash. Don’t compare the archive, have to compare the .dav file. If those are the same, good chance they probably all are.

in saying that we do have some “custom” firmwares for Australia, but I believe this is mostly for ANPR etc etc.

ABCcam

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Compared hash tags for 5.7.10 vs Euro portal - same!

Installed 5.7.11 - No issues.
Thank you for the link.

So far i don't see any obvious difference.
Difficult to say if it is better or i've just got better (or more accepting :p) at tweaking the cams settings.
Night performance is good now with no flicker / freezing - providing there is no event monitoring! (sort of defeats the purpose - but whatever! - my application is more live, not event recording).
Night:
- works best with HLC which is weird because HLC is not great in the day due to generally just making the overall picture darker.
- Exposure 1/25; HLC 10 ; Image enhancement expert 55/55 (lower values give grainy pic)
Day;
Exposure 1/25; WDR 30; Image enhancement expert 30/30

Would prefer an overall visual result between the current night HLC (too dark) vs the Day WDR (very light/ washed out) but haven't been able to figure out how to get that.

Exposure is best @ 1/25 for day & night. Despite many recommendations and logic to reduce exposure to minimise blurring, so far results show it to get worse with lower exposure.
Need to create a controlled vid to show this.

ausmisc

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Compared hash tags for 5.7.10 vs Euro portal - same!

Installed 5.7.11 - No issues.
Thank you for the link.

So far i don't see any obvious difference.
Difficult to say if it is better or i've just got better (or more accepting :p) at tweaking the cams settings.
Night performance is good now with no flicker / freezing - providing there is no event monitoring! (sort of defeats the purpose - but whatever! - my application is more live, not event recording).
Night:
- works best with HLC which is weird because HLC is not great in the day due to generally just making the overall picture darker.
- Exposure 1/25; HLC 10 ; Image enhancement expert 55/55 (lower values give grainy pic)
Day;
Exposure 1/25; WDR 30; Image enhancement expert 30/30

Would prefer an overall visual result between the current night HLC (too dark) vs the Day WDR (very light/ washed out) but haven't been able to figure out how to get that.

Exposure is best @ 1/25 for day & night. Despite many recommendations and logic to reduce exposure to minimise blurring, so far results show it to get worse with lower exposure.
Need to create a controlled vid to show this.
That’s good to hear :)
In regards to the worse blur with faster exposure I would so it’s simply “less light = higher gain = more noise reduction processing issues”. Sounds like you found the sweet spot at least. I normally run 1/50 at night on my G5 colourVu just to have clearer faces etc, artefacts are worse but the subject is clear and that’s all I need for security purposes.

I was looking at some older cameras today and I see what you mean by the image being “clearer” in the sense of compression issues or processing artefacts. Guess that’s the trade off for pushing technology to the limit haha.

A worthwhile trade imo :).

ABCcam

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
The real problem that is still an issue is the 'Ghosting' - for lack of a better term.
This is an image processing artefact which kills all the benefit of 8MP/4K.
It is most obvious at night although it is always present.
I have never seen this previously on 4 & 5MP HIKvision cams.
It is the norm to see this on super cheap knock-off no-name brand Chinese cams even at 1080p.

See the examples below:
When objects move the image inside the object appears fluid - detail in the object does not move with the borders of the object - it takes longer to catch up.

gpower07

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
HikVision Australia say the same thing but I never have an issue using the Europe portal for cameras and nvr firmware. It’s up to you, have bricked many things in the past even when the firmware came from the suppliers here in Australia so it’s always a risk unfortunately. If you have good local support they can fix it pretty quickly at least.

The best way to tell if it should work is download the one from your region latest and get the same one from Europe portal then compare the file hash. Don’t compare the archive, have to compare the .dav file. If those are the same, good chance they probably all are.

in saying that we do have some “custom” firmwares for Australia, but I believe this is mostly for ANPR etc etc.
i am from usa. i always download firmware from Europe. never has problems. just don't buy the Chinese version of any nvr and ipc.