Hikvision ban? Best over all DVR/NVR for remote viewing

Joseph P

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello!
I currently have 10 properties about 16 cameras each that are all hardwired with ip or analog systems. Out of those 10 properties 5 of them are all currently using hikvision dvrs. I have never had an issue with hikvision. I am currently working on a setup to remotely view all properties from a central Hub. If all systems were the same manufacturer and use the same software that would be ideal.
1. does the current hikvision duhua ban stop all sales to private owned individuals like my self or just government agencies and what not.

2. If I will be prevented from buying hikvision in the future What's the next best system with great remote viewing capabilities??
3. If hikvision is not banned for private sales where can I buy at the moment from a authorized dealer? My go to has been B&H photo but they have no stock.

thanks a million!

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
NO - the ban only applies to government agencies.

@EMPIRETECANDY is a trusted vendor here that provides Dahua and Hikvision OEM cameras.

Unless you have a specific need for them to be truly USA authorized dealers, you will not find better service or pricing than from EmpireTech.

If you are going to go with NDAA compliant, then open the checkbook as Axis is 5 times more expensive. And they just recently got hacked as well...

As long as you keep your cameras off the internet, you are fine.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
I wonder if he can use a Hikvision OEM NVR like for instance, Nightowl...It might be too cropped on features though.....maybe there is another OEM that is more full featured? or maybe Nightowl has a higher end line?

Last edited:

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
well that didn't look too promising....:/ lots of goose eggs on stock...

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
I think their inventory would suggest everybody got a bite of the shit sandwich, and they took the money and ran....leaving "phone home" devices scouring the net as Bots :)....
With a shitty App to boot.
After my Nightowl Experience, I don't think I would gamble on anything made by Hikvision,
after seeing people here getting by just fine on the Dahua Oem's or Andys stuff.

I'm sure people have HIk stuff that works, I havent had a fair product experience to judge HIk,
But's its like my last Chevy, when the 2nd window fell inside the door, and the motor developed a knock, that was it.
No more GM products for me. I've driven used GM all my life until 2000. I was just done fixing my stuff and all my friends stuff on weekends.

Now I just buy 3 year old Japanese cars and have a fucking car payment.
But I don't wrench on stuff anymore, it just runs. I will do my front brakes this month. Shops charge too much for labor on a 45-55 minute job.
there will come a day when I can't wrench on my own stuff, and then I'll probably have to pay for the simple stuff too.

I still have to dismantle the crap coax and rerrun cat5 to all the home locations now to get up to date with IP camera stuff. :mad:

Last edited:

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I don't find anywhere that say's HIK manufactures Night Owl.
But I do find that Night Owl is supposedly designed, engineered and their servers are in Florida.
If that's the case then you can't blame Hik for crap if they are simply manufacturing to their specs.
The night owl I messed with had no resemblance what so ever to HIK's interface. YMMV

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
Well the motherboard part# inside both the 8ch and the older generation 16 channel I have starts out with HIK or ends in HIK can't remember without going to check
it mighta been inside the GUI with the model or serial or firmware tabs somewhere. dvr model # DVR-THD50B-81-HIK
motherboard DS-80294_P

Last edited: