Hikvision Camera for Birdhouse

naturecam

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello all,

I'm in the process of installing a Hikvision NVR system and a series of camera to monitor the nature around us. One of the things I'd like to do is to install a a camera in a couple of birdhouses and owlhouses that we have. The challenge of course is that the camera is mounted in a confined space and the focal target is quite close to the lens. From reading the Hik site, I'm guessing that the best option for the bird house is the mini dome with a 2 mm lens? The problem is that the mini domes are fixed focused so I was hoping that someone who has experience with these cameras can tell me if they would be suitable for this purpose? Is the camera in focus on a target that is only inches away and what is the depth of field at that distance?

Or, if you think there is a better option, please opine.

Thanks for any help or advice you can give. I've done so much reading but it's all still quite confusing.

Trax95008

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
A few inches is going to be a problem. Hikvision has a pinhole camera you should look at. I’m not sure what the focal length is, but worth looking into. DS-2CD2D14WD

naturecam

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks. Unfortunately, the pinhole camera is not digital and I don't think it will work with the NVR. I may be wrong. I'm new at this. I will look into it though.

Trax95008

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I may have referenced the wrong one. Look at this one. It is an IP camera with POE. DS-2CD6424FWD-10

GCoco

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I have two birdhouse cameras working. You need IR unless you only want to see in the house when the sun is shining through the hole. The only camera I have found that works is an IP pinhole camera with 940nm (invisible LEDs). You need wide angle lens in the order of 2mm. These can be found on the website “Light in the box” for around $60. The ones I found with the wide angle lens are not POE powered but a POE splitter works fine. I attached a PVC box on the rear of the house for the splitter and main a dry place for the RJ45 connection. These are Chinese cameras and have a very good English setup menu.

naturecam

n3wb
Reaction score
I have two birdhouse cameras working. You need IR unless you only want to see in the house when the sun is shining through the hole. The only camera I have found that works is an IP pinhole camera with 940nm (invisible LEDs). You need wide angle lens in the order of 2mm. These can be found on the website “Light in the box” for around $60. The ones I found with the wide angle lens are not POE powered but a POE splitter works fine. I attached a PVC box on the rear of the house for the splitter and main a dry place for the RJ45 connection. These are Chinese cameras and have a very good English setup menu.
Thanks very much for the info. Have you tried to integrate that camera with an NVR? I use a Hikvision.

GCoco

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I have a 9632 NVR. Need Onvif protocol for the cameras.