hikvision cameras lose network/reboot after I access it from app

Reaction score
hello all!
here is the story!
I've got two cameras set up, DS-2CD2146G2-I and DS-2CD2743G2-IZS, both are powered by a TP Link PoE switch and are writing to my home NAS. I get alerts from Hikvision app on my android mobile.

When it fires an alert, I use my phone to check the screenshot, sometimes it seems like something is going on, so I have to check the recording of the alert or go check the camera live. Sometimes, that doesn't work, device gets offline! this happens with both of the cameras, not only with one of the two.

At this point, I can't tell if the whole device reboots or it just loses network.
I have already replaced the PoE switch, so that's ruled out.

I've logged in the dashboard of the cam and there is no uptime reading that I could check. Also my logs are blank. Problem is I can't find how to enable logging.

is there a way to troubleshoot that issue so I can fix it?

ludshed

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Maybe check phone first. Lot of cctv apps just give up if they don’t have a good WiFi or cellular connection.

Reaction score
Maybe check phone first. Lot of cctv apps just give up if they don’t have a good WiFi or cellular connection.
thank you for your reply!

I'm a network engineer and I can reassure you that my home network is top notch and I don't have any network issues there.

trempa92

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
One thing you need to know, and that is once you receieve alert you need to wait for entierety of POST RECORD time to actually be able to access footage. Basicly footage havent been written entirely yet.

But if it goes down as not even live view working, then its something else.

Reaction score
One thing you need to know, and that is once you receieve alert you need to wait for entierety of POST RECORD time to actually be able to access footage. Basicly footage havent been written entirely yet.

But if it goes down as not even live view working, then its something else.
yeap, I know that, problem is camera goes offline, I can access the NAS and other devices on the same switch so I'm focusing on something that's going on at the cameras.

Famous last words.
is there a reason that you believe that my network is the issue?

I'm not saying that I'm the best, but at this point, I would focus on cameras rather than the network :)

of course, I'm open to suggestions if based on your experience and/or your expertise you believe that I'm missing something here!

Teken

Known around here
Reaction score
Keep this simple, as anyone who is involved in so called (IT) would use the most common tools and solutions to identify or isolate the root cause.

As you stated you have no clue where the problem lies yet nothing I’ve read shows any basic network troubleshooting?!?

Ping: Run a continuous ping to the device watch if the ping times increase / timeout. If the hardware continues to (ping) reply back yet you lose connection via the App.

You have a data point which you had none before!

Open the cameras web page while the ping is happening and view the live stream.

Using the smart application when you lose so called connection. What happens to the ping / ping time / camera live view?!?

Anyone worth their salt involved in networking would have SNMP / Syslog running on a NMS / Syslog Server.

Using both insures you have active / historic data tracking of the hardware.

Wire shark: Probably the most used and loved software to track, identify, and record network activity.

If you don’t see any loss of connection on a computer system (live stream) and ping. The problem is going to be very much isolated to the application, wireless connectivity, to phone, all three.

If you use another smart application or another persons phone. What do you see and observe?!?

Why did we just use another application / phone?!?

Reaction score
network loss or reboots with Hikvision cameras when accessed via the app is frustrating. Ensure your firmware is up-to-date and check for any network issues. Rebooting your router or adjusting camera settings might help stabilize the connection. Contact support for persistent issues.