Hikvision cameras (no NVR) storage priority

nicobar

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hello,

I have several Hikvision cameras from the last couple years, without NVR. I have all the cameras setup via web interface to use two different storage media: an internal 128GB microSD, and a NAS in the house. Both media are seen correctly configured and formatted.
In the storage management page, the microSD appears always on top and it seems to be the only one where anything is recorded. The second line, the NAS, shows "Formatted" but nothing gets recorded there, ever If I remove the microSD, media is recorded in the NAS just fine.

I setup both media to have location redundancy: if a thief steal the camera with its microSD inside, it I will have a recording in the NAS hidden somewhere in the house. Alternatively, the microSD is more reliable if something happens to the NAS, freezes up or reboots or else.
So ideally I was expecting to have the camera record on both media at the same time but this is not the case. And it does not record on the second media when the first is full either. Basically the second media, the NAS, is there doing nothing!

Do anybody knows what is the recording management of these cameras when more than one storage option is available? any way to use them in parallel or sequentially?

1589382268193.png

KamirZG

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Once i got response from HIK technical support that i need to set DVR as main storage and NAS as auxiliary storage. ( One client had DVR and wanted to have simultaneously recording on NAS).

I belive that SD is same as DVR ( or maybe camera by it self can't do that properly). Check that auxiliary storage.

And try set NAS as Net HDD.

nicobar

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I actually found my answer after several tests. IF you have an SD and a NAS storage, the NAS takes priority: recordings and pictures go ONLY there, and the SD is inactive. I am 100% sure about this now. It makes sense, if they steal your camera with an SD in it, you want the recordings to be elsewhere.
Where the SD comes to play, is when the NAS goes offline for whatever reason (reboot, update, power failure etc). In that case the camera records automatically into the SD. when the NAS is back online, it continues to record in it and all the videos are available from the playback menu.