Hikvision cameras without NVR: is it possible to record both on SD card and NAS at the same time?

nicobar

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi all,

I have a personal remote installation with 20 Hikvision cameras, most like 2542, 2642, and a Synology NAS hidden inside the house. No NVR.
  • every camera has a 128GB SD, as I found it to be more reliable than the NAS which may be overloaded, network problems, once remained off with a broken power supply, etc.
  • every camera is also setup to record to the NAS in a dedicated folder for each camera, as I am concerned that an intruder could simply steal the cameras and the SD with the recording with it.

When I set up the storage as in the attached screenshot, both are formatted regularly, I can see all my recordings, but I have no idea where the recordings are stored.
What does the firmware do in these cases, which of these options?

1) fills up first the SD, and than overflows in the NAS
2) fills up the NAS, and then overflows in the SD
3) uses the NAS only if the SD fails
4) uses the SD only if the NAS fails
5) LAST, which would be my desired option: records on both SD and NAS at the same time, sort of a RAID

One more piece of information: the camera of the attached screen shot shows 0 GB available in both units; other cameras are all over the place: some show 0 GB in the SD and not in the NAS, other show different GB available in both storages, so I have no idea what Hikvision does, does anybody have a certain information?

Bonus question: Still afraid that somebody may break in and steal the cameras, and perhaps also the NAS, I experimented with the FTP settings. I managed to have the cameras upload to a FTP server in another location, but again what does it upload and how often? It seems it only uploads JPGs, and how often? As frequency I can only set 1 day as the minimum, does this mean it uploads once a day all the JPG it collects? This does not help at all in case of an intruder stealing the cameras.

Thank you all!

Attachments

ShawUK

n3wb
Reaction score
Google has sent me here... I am also looking for the same answer, Synology / SD set up.

I'll return if I find out.

ShawUK

n3wb
Reaction score
Footage records to both SD and NAS duplicating the data.

nicobar

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Footage records to both SD and NAS duplicating the data.
That's not what my recent test is showing: with SD and NAS both formatted, recordings go ONLY in the NAS. I tryed to remove the storage one at a time and verified. There is no "parallel recording". When then the NAS goes offline, the camera records in the SD. When they are both back online, from the play interface of the camera all recordings can be see, those in the NAS and those in the SD, but there is no duplication and no parallel recording: NAS takes priority over the SD. At least in my 2142, 2542, 2642 cameras with the latest firmware.