HIKVision cameras

Myk

n3wb
Reaction score
Morning all,

I am having a look at some HIKVISION cameras and I am nearly at a decision on what I plan to go with.

I am planning 1 camera at first to cover the front drive, car, path and front door. I have marked the circle for install and the direction i plan to point it

I plan to run the network cables internally then drop them out under the roof and down into the softfit and mount the camera on the softfit in the corner.

I have been looking at the [FONT=Arimo, sans-serif]DS-2CD2332-I but I have come across the [/FONT]DS-2CD2532F-I and like the idea of the low profile this offers and would look less intrusive at such a low height.

The next phase is to install another camera. Either a
[FONT=Arimo, sans-serif]DS-2CD2032-I 6 or 12mm camera around the side off the house to monitor the enterance to the rear of the house, side garage door and garden.

[/FONT]

Then planning another DS-2CD2532F-I on the rear softfit to cover the back patio door.

I was then going to wire in 2 cameras
[FONT=Arimo, sans-serif]DS-2CD2432F-IW over wifi to sit inside the house and look at the front and rear doors for anyone entering.

This is all down to cable runs and if I can get the Network cables back to the network cabinet I have in my loft.

Plan to hopefully start out with the camera at the front and rear first then expand.

Main question is the
[/FONT]DS-2CD2532F-I as good as the [FONT=Arimo, sans-serif]DS-2CD2332-I without being as bulky?

Mike
[/FONT]

Attachments

gwminor48

Known around here
Reaction score
I have a mini dome (2532) on my front porch but it is a very small area. The IR on the mini dome is much weaker if that's to be considered. The 2532 IR is rated at a max distance of 10 meters, the turrets go maybe as far as 30 meters. The 2532 has 2.8mm lens while there is 2.8mm and other lens choices on the 2332.

zero-degrees

Known around here
Reaction score
I would not get the mini came for the front location. It will be so low profile that if you point it up to watch any of the drive you will get the eve overhang which will wash out your night vision with the IR reflection. Even with the standard Turret or dome you may want to consider a wiring box/mount to get it below the eve/overhang so you don't get any IR reflection.

For you side door camera I would NOT get a 12 mm camera as that will be way to much zoom for that distance. Consider a 6mm or possibly 4mm depending on your goal. Better yet consider getting a variable focus (vf) camera so you can dial in exactly what you want for that location.

Here's a review I did recently. You'll notice the model numbers are different however look at the physical camera as they are private label HIK. You can see the mini Vs standard actual install/coverage ability.

https://www.ipcamtalk.com/showthread.php/5681-HIKVision-amp-LTS-3-amp-4mp-Camera-review-example

Good luck and make sure to post install and screen captures once your done.

Last edited by a moderator:

Myk

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply.

The sofit where I am planning on installing at the front of the house is flush. There is no lip or eve to speak off. Its the same flush fit all the way along to the front door where I plan to monitor. Also the end of my drive / path is less than 10 meters away and its pretty well lit with street lights so this is why I was thinking it would be a better option. Also for the fact It would not protrude to much from the corner.

All this is dependent if I can get cable to this location which I plan to try either tomorrow or one night during the week

zero-degrees

Known around here
Reaction score
Okay, I could be crazy, i mean it is your house and your the one looking at it... However looking at BOTH your pictures I can see that there is a lip caused by the front fascia board that the gutter is attached to. The front fascia board typically hangs down 1-1.5" on the front and thus the soffits sit about 1.5" higher then that front (Unless you have a vinyl house with seamless vinyl wrap from the fascia to the soffit to the siding) - this is really obvious in the picture of the side of the house. The front should be accessible if you have access to the attic space above the garage, however it is 99% unlikely that the soffit/air space/over hang on the side of your home is accessible at all from inside. There is typically a joist/header that will follow that roof line down that the carries the load of the roof to that exterior wall. Then single blocks are used to frame out that single cavity overhang/eve. You may be able to cut a hole to recess a box then using the larger opening take a flex bit and shoot through that support stud and pull a wire back though. Again, you may be right, but based on the pictures, especially that side pic, I can see that the front fascia board drops 1-2" down and if you angle the camera up 25-35 degrees you WILL get IR reflection. Just trying to save you frustration. I've only pulled wire on the side for 15 years and installed a few hundred cameras and or lights however, every house/situation is different so I could be totally wrong.

Last edited by a moderator:

Myk

n3wb
Reaction score
I have just been out and checked and you are correct there is a small lip. Measured it and it's 1/4 inch on the flat. The bit around the side of the house is the same as the eves and has a larger lip. But where I plan to affix the front camera is ok.

Also had a look while I was cooking dinner to see if I can get a cable run from the loft to the utility room at the back of the house. I maybe able to get a run down from the waste pipe but I will need to do some digging

I will try to get the network cable to the garage first of all and then take it from there.

Thanks.

bearclaw

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I have several 2532s and I am happy with them. I agree that the IR is not as bright as the domes or turrets etc, but for me the size was a better option. I have a 2.8 on my garage mounted under the soffit but I have a larger overhang which comes down about 6 inches. Even still I get good shots in very low light. If the object of your first cam is to cover off the Garage door and the entry door, I don't think you'd have a problem with the 2.8mm 2532.