Hikvision colorvu overexposed image

olismop

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi guys I recently got a hikvision colorvu DS-2CD2T87G2-L but the reflection of my gate makes a funny picture when the sun comes out, it's burnt.
I played with the WDR but it seems to be getting worse. Do you have an idea ?
I am disappointed with this camera, it manages exposures very badly

Attachments

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
have you tried to increase Shutter speed? i have a camera that gets bombarded with sun a certain times of the year/day. I think I have the shutter at 1/4000. but for sure its at 1/2000Screenshot 2022-02-19 105347.pngScreenshot 2022-02-19 104924.png

Last edited:

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Some angles are going to be problematic at some points in the year based on where the sun is.

But you have a ton chromatic aberration going on there. It is an optical flaw that causes bright areas to appear purple or purple fringing on edges of objects and it gives that red/blue or green/purple color shifts you see here. You need to run WDR as low as possible and desaturate the image or switch to B/W mode.

Another option if you have an iris that you can adjust is to make the opening smaller, but too small and then not enough light is getting in during other parts of the day.

olismop

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi, thank you already for your help, I will test it as soon as I can I will change it from 1/25 to 1/200 to see if in full brightness with the sun it changes.
Logically this should let in less light so reduce overexposure, I'll let you know as soon as the sun comes back to me..;)

user8963

Known around here
Reaction score
When running a camera with static shutter there can be problems at day.
never run a camera with fixed shutter, unless you know what you are doing.

all cameras have a manual mode where you can set a range for shutter and gain
so if you set it to 0-0.4 the camera will use smaller shutter time than 0.4 on sunny days, no need for fixed shutter 1/2000

like @wittaj already said... some mounting points can be problematic.

blc/wdr is the best what you can do in most situations... but with full sunlight at only one spot (your gate) even this may not help...

if i had such a bad image like flintstone, i would turn WDR waaaaaaaaaaay down
or buy a new camera :lmao: :smash:

triumph202

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Adjusting the HLC (High Light Control) will most likely help in that situation.

I am disappointed with this camera, it manages exposures very badly
Did you buy it for security reasons or to make blockbuster movies? ;) The detail in the picture looks very good and you'd be able to identify someone at your gate. The real test would be to walk up to the gate and see how well facial details/ exposure is handled.

Edit: Turning the contrast down will help too.

Last edited:

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
That cam is looking straight south. In the Northern Hemisphere. image changes by the hour. Nobody is gonna be able to make that 5442 " do it all" in that location. It was installed more for night time operations than day. Most of the asshole drug addict alcoholic psycho-Zombies don't start wandering in until the wee hours of the morning.Screenshot 2022-02-19 183718.png