Hikvision configuration with AcuSense

inegru

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello,
I want to buy an surveillance system from Hikvision that has AcuSense and after many thoughts and research I've come up with the following configurations:

1st option:
NVR: DS-7608NXI-I2 (with AcuSense)
Camera: 4x DS-2CD2045FWD, 1x DS-2CD2046G2-IU

2nd option:
NVR: DS-7608NI-I2
Camera: 5x DS-2CD2046G2-IU (with AcuSense)

3rd option:
NVR: DS-7608NXI-I2 (with AcuSense)
Camera: 5x DS-2CD2046G2-IU (with AcuSense)

The first is the cheapest(not with much), but I do know if it is the optimal configuration. Also, I'm not sure about the chosen non-AcuSense camera (I've tried to pick something similar to the AcuSense one).
The AcuSense camera seems to be pretty good for what I need and it fits in my budget.

What is the optimal configuration to take advantage of the smart filtering system?
Any opinion on the cameras I've chosen and the NVR model would be great. Would you recommend anything better?

I mention this is for a residential house. There are trees,flowers and animals around. The lightning sources are not that great during night (only 1 faded light at night in the front, otherwise pitch black).
I've attached the plan with positions of the camera if it is of help and can provide more context.

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

Last edited:

ausmisc

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
If the budget allows for it I would go non AcuSense NVR and 5x 8MP AcuSense.

Based on your option I would go with Option 3 so you get the on NVR AcuSense search functions. They may have added this to newer firmware on non AcuSense NVR, someone correct me if I'm wrong.

The reason for all AcuSense is that they perform better at low light, they both say "Powered by Dark Fighter" but the sensor in the AcuSense is defiantly better even tho it's technically smaller.

inegru

n3wb
Reaction score
Interesting, thank you for the response.

Going up to 8MP would definitely increase the overall price of the configuration which is already somewhat at the top for me :D. Although I'm considering to upgrade only the front one to 8MP.
I mostly looked at the technical specs of the cameras as I couldn't find any direct comparison between them. The price diff between them isn't much, but because I have 4 of them it adds up.
For the AcuSense combination, this is the confusion that I'm having as I've read that I cannot double this feature; I have to choose to do the filtering on the NVR or on the Camera and not on both. But the information on this is very limited and I really do not know how it really works and if it makes sense to have AcuSense feature on both.

ausmisc

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Interesting, thank you for the response.

Going up to 8MP would definitely increase the overall price of the configuration which is already somewhat at the top for me :D. Although I'm considering to upgrade only the front one to 8MP.
I mostly looked at the technical specs of the cameras as I couldn't find any direct comparison between them. The price diff between them isn't much, but because I have 4 of them it adds up.
For the AcuSense combination, this is the confusion that I'm having as I've read that I cannot double this feature; I have to choose to do the filtering on the NVR or on the Camera and not on both. But the information on this is very limited and I really do not know how it really works and if it makes sense to have AcuSense feature on both.
Yes it does get confusing and depending on who you talk to you get a different answer. You are correct tho, you cannot double it up. So if you have an AcuSense nvr you can either tell the nvr to do the human / vehicle filtering or if you had an acusense camera also you could tell it to make the camera do it instead.

In this scenario when they both have the feature it’s one or the other. Just remember that the acusense nvr cannot do 8mp acusense so your better off getting acusense cameras instead of the nvr itself. I just use normal NVRs for mine and it works fine.

what I was saying in my last post is, the acusense nvr has the search function for human / vehicle so you can define it how you want. I don’t use my NVRs locally so I’m not sure about the local GUI but the web interface definitely does not have this function.

AcuSense NVR = 4x 4MP Acusense.

This restriction is only for when the camera does not have the function. If the camera has AcuSense then normal NVRs can support as many as you want.

ausmisc

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Sorry I didn't really answer your question.

The point of the AcuSense NVR's is to add AcuSense support to cameras that do not have the feature.

This is limited to 4 Channels at 4MP each.

You do not need an AcuSense NVR to use the AcuSense cameras.

inegru

n3wb
Reaction score
Thank you.
This confirms what I've suspected about the AcuSense feature on NVR and Camera and the reason why I have the 1st option.

In this situation do you still think it makes sense to buy both the NVR and the Cameras with AcuSense feature(the 3rd option and the most expensive)?

ausmisc

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
It's really up to you, 2 and 3 will achieve the same result. If you want to save money just buy a normal NVR and 5 AcuSense Cameras. This is what I do and I have 600+ cameras :p.

It's 2020 and personally I wouldn't go below 6MP ever. These new 6MP and 8MP sensor's are far better then the 4MP :D.

All my new cameras have been 8MP for a while now, they are more expensive at $260 each for the 8MP AcuSense G2 but I'm a firm believer that you may as well do it right the firs time.

You will be kicking yourself if the 4MP didn't have the resolving power that was needed for an incident. That being said if it's not in the budget... its not in the budget :D Defiantly make the one's facing any roads 8MP if you can afford to.

If you need help with configuration or anything else please ask.

ausmisc

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Did it again, skipped your point.

I wouldn't go with Option 1 personally as the low light performance of the AcuSense range is critical in my opinion. Also I prefer the camera to do the work and not the NVR.

inegru

n3wb
Reaction score
I see, thank you so much for the detailed response :D

The budget is definitely a factor in my choice as I've stretched it to the maximum :D
So in the end DS-2CD2046G2-IU camera is(should be) better than DS-2CD2045FWD. In this case my best option would be to go with 2nd option as it seems i won't need AcuSense on the NVR if I go with 5 AcuSense cameras.
I will also get an offer for at least the front camera with 8MP to see if it fits my budget.

Some extra help with the configuration wouldn't hurt :D
I've updated the initial post with an attachment with the camera positions and the area for them.

inegru

n3wb
Reaction score
Would you recommend another configuration for my needs?
What about the positioning of the cameras, do you think they can be improved?

ausmisc

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Please excuse the crude MS paint goodness.

You nearly have complete coverage with a small section at the back "Yellow" that will be a slim blind spot.

The love hearts indicate areas where a wide angle camera will probably struggle at the distance to resolve faces etc. Even with 8MP this will probably be true.

This image is assuming you are going with 2.8mm for all 5 and the 8MP AcuSense is about 110 degree's FOV.

I would say it's good enough for a starter setup, you can always tweak it later. The install itself will often reveal issues that you can't predict especially line of site stuff.

Please make sure that you don't have anything in front of the camera or in the cameras immediate FOV as the IR will create a hot spot and the camera will adjust to this bright area at night. This includes awnings, walls, down pipes, etc. I will include an example of this as it's hard to explain.

Attachments

inegru

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks so much for the detailed response and for your time to provide help with my config.

All the cameras will be mounted at a height of 4 meters, on the wall of the house, near the corners.
The small area in the back is because I have a terrace roof there and it obstructs the view of the camera a little because of its roof. But for this I was thinking that I can mount the camera at a height bellow the roof of the terrace (around 3m).
I chose the 2.8mm for all of them and for the sides of the house I set the camera in corridor mode(portrait mode instead of landscape), but I will see exactly what mode is best after I install them.
The model I've chosen has the horizontal FOV of 103° for the 2.8mm and 83° for the 4mm.

I have some trees and flowers around the house (especially in front and on the left side), other than that nothing that is in the direct front of the cameras.

Would you recommend a different lens for the sides of the house, being so narrow, instead of using corridor mode on the bullet cameras(i know I will have to rotate them)? Initially I thought about the 4mm lens, but It seemed that I would loose a lot of the view bellow the camera.

ausmisc

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hey,

Im not not a fan of other modes I just go wide otherwise you create blind spots. And if your not getting the detail because of distance you probably need more cameras :). Also I try to keep my cameras no higher than 2.8m because you end up looking at the top of people’s heads haha. I suggest you play around with locations and heights in a temporary fashion. Just stick the camera on your ladder at various heights :).

inegru

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for the tip, than I will go with the 2.8mm :D
I can definitely play with the height position. The 4 meters is the place where my cables come out, but I can put a junction box and move it to another height.