Hikvision DS-2CD2032-I Camera and Version 5.3 Firmware

Reaction score
I had a Hikvision DS-2CD2032-I camera with a manufacture date of 5/2015 brick on me last night when I attempted to flash it with the 5.3 firmware. The box states that the camera shipped with firmware version 5.3. The sticker that is affixed to the bottom of the camera also states that the camera contains version 5.3 firmware . The reason why I flashed the camera was due to timeout problems while operating the camera in night vision mode. The firmware version returned by the web interface was 5.2.5; therefore, I was hoping that firmware version 5.3 fixed the problem. I performed a hard reset and attempted back-rev the firmware to versions 2.0, 2.2, and 2.3 via TFTP with no joy. The only firmware that worked correctly is the Chinese version of 5.3. They only problem is that I do not speak, read, or write Chinese. Version 5.2.5 of the firmware appears to be MIA on Hikvision's websites. Has anyone experienced problems flashing recent production cameras? Is there a fix for this problem that does not require one to be able to read Chinese?

Last edited by a moderator:

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Temporary workaround is to use Chrome's translate feature to convert each page to English after you load it. Right click > Translate to English.

That is, until someone more knowledgeable about hacking the firmware chimes in.

Reaction score
This network is closed off from the world (i.e., no Internet access); therefore, using Google Translate is not going to be easy.

Reaction score
I think I know what happened with this camera. It all makes sense now that I found the 5.3 Chinese to 5.2.5 English downgrader. Unlike the other two DS-2CD2032-Is that I own, this camera was acquired from an Amazon seller. I made the assumption that U.S. fulfillment meant U.S. camera, which is clearly not the case with Hikvision cameras. I am willing to bet that grey marketers are taking recent production Chinese 5.3 cameras and downgrading them to 5.2.5 with the Chinese 5.3 to English 5.2.5 downgrader that is linked on this forum. It did not make sense that 5.3 was stated on the box and label while the firmware reported 5.2.5.

Last edited by a moderator:

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
More than likely they are downgrading because they have an english-hacked 5.2.5 image and not a 5.3 image.

Reaction score
I was not aware that there was a difference between U.S. market and Chinese market cameras until last night. I acquired the other two Hikvision 2032 cameras that I own from an acquaintance that installs security systems and communication networks for living. They were left over from a one-off job that he did for a budget conscious customer. I may be wrong, but I believe that he purchased the cameras through Anixter. Anixter is one his major suppliers.