Hikvision DS-2CD2142FWD-I Keeps Resetting to Factory Defaults

inker00

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I have a DS-2CD2142FWD-I that keeps resetting to factory defaults about once a day. Once it does this, I log into the management UI and see that it is at the "Activation" stage (asking for a new password). I set the password and it works fine for a little while longer.

I can't nail down why it's doing this, hence my post here.

Any help is appreciated.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Any help is appreciated.
A lot of this around - if running vulnerable firmware that still has the 'Hikvision backdoor' and allowing the internet in to your camera. Lot's of posts about these same symptoms.
If you haven't explicitly configured any 'port forwarding' on your router, check to see if there are any automatically opened ports by using ShieldsUp! (scan all ports) here : GRC | ShieldsUP! — Internet Vulnerability Profiling
If it finds any that you didn't know of - turn off UPnP in your router, and also in the camera web GUI.
If you know about any open ports - you now are reminded how risky they are.
Backdoor found in Hikvision cameras

The fix is :
Upgrade the camera firmware to at least 5.4.41 - but only if the camera is an 'upgradeable' model.
If you must have remote access - look to setting up a VPN as a more secure method that just letting anyone have a go at your LAN. VPN Primer for Noobs

inker00

n3wb
Reaction score
Thank you for this.

I did have UPnP enabled on both my router and camera, so that is likely the cause. I have disabled both and will report back here if it does not solve the problem.

Thank you again!

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
I did have UPnP enabled on both my router and camera, so that is likely the cause.
Scary, eh?
With the Hikvision backdoor (or similar vulnerabilities on other devices on your LAN) the entire internet potentially has full access to your LAN.