HIKVISION DS-2CD2442FWD-IW Siren going off at random times.... hacked ?

BthaMan

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello everyone I have a Hikvision DS-2CD2442FWD-IW with firmware version V5.4.5 build 170124. Heres my issue my camera siren will go off at random times and it always seems like when my wife is in the room. The IR sensor is covered up and only the lense isnt. The siren will go off for no more then 1-3 seconds . Last night it went off 3 time within a couple hours and it always seems to go off after midnight when someone is in the room but has went off apparently with people not in the room It happens no more then a couple times a month and usually unplugging it I wont have issue with it for quite a while. I have it on a connection that is only supposed to be vpn only and should only have one port fwd allowed on that connection and its only for my NAS not intended for my IP camera . I havent configured the camera to access over the internet that im aware off atleast not to access it remotely although it does get updates. Am I being paranoid in worrying that someone may of gained access to or could it be a camera glitching out ? Any recommendations would be much appreciated because im about ready to unplug the damn thing even though its providing security.

Mark_M

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Few thoughts at first:
Is motion detection on (and is it on a schedule for the siren when motion is detected)?

Next have a look though access logs. Ensure password(s) are not default or guessable.

BthaMan

n3wb
Reaction score
Few thoughts at first:
Is motion detection on (and is it on a schedule for the siren when motion is detected)?

Next have a look though access logs. Ensure password(s) are not default or guessable.
I looked at the settings and there where a few that had the audible alarm checked also the alarm was triggered on event continuously . It just started doing this within the last 3-4 months thats what had me a bit concerned. Who knows though maybe I accidentally set the alarm to trigger. I unticked the settings and hopefully wont have anymore issues. Guess reading about IP cams potential vulnerabilities got me bit worried about the cam being compromised. Appreciate the help.