Hikvision DS-2CD3335-I 4:3 Aspect Ratio?

Jweaver

n3wb
Reaction score
I have just built an "analogue" CCTV system using a Hikvision DVR and run out of channels, so planned to use the IP capability of the box to add 2 more cameras.

I ordered a DS-2CD3335-I from China and it arrived yesterday and it was soon connected to my box.. But I was far from impressed with the picture quality as its not in the same league as the Analogue/TVI cameras I am using

But it wasn't THAT bad and I can live with it, but the bigger problem is the aspect ratio.. Its 4:3 and as such it looks squashed.

All of my other cameras are 16:9 and I assumed that this was standard, but its not on the Hikivision.. I did read that it has something to do with the 'crop' when going down from 3MP to 2MP (1080P).. But even at 3MP (2048x1536) its still 4:3

Is this expected? Are Hikvision IP cameras really 4:3? Are there models which are 16:9? Since I only need 2MP, would a DS-2CD3325-I be any better?

If there is a 16:9 option, I think I will sell the 3335 and buy something else, as the 4:3 image is horrible.

I look forwards to any comments you have

Jon

Jweaver

n3wb
Reaction score
I just looked at the resolution numbers and its clear what the issue is.. Its a 3MP camera which works at 2048x1536 and this is 4:3, not 16:9..

But the odd thing is, Hikvision could "crop" a 1920x1080 image out of this 4:3 frame and make a 2MB 16:9 image, so its odd they havn't done this...

So I am not sure what to do now.. I wonder if their 2MP cameras, which claim to be 1920x1080 are actually 16:9?

Looking at their web site, it seems their 2MP cameras appear to be 16:9 (1920x1080) as do their 4MP (2688x1520).. But their 3MP resolution is a 4:3 ratio (2048x1536).. So I wonder if the 3MP cameras is simply a bit of a lemon?

Last edited by a moderator:

Razer

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
If you set your 3mp camera to 2mp, it will go to 1920x1080 and will be 16:9.

I personally use a ton of the 3mp cameras and greatly prefer them as I like the flexibility of having both 4:3 and 16:9 views in a single camera. That is one of my big complaints in the 4mp and higher cameras as I need varying coverage many times. I installed 14 Hikvision cameras yesterday and 8 of them I chose 4:3, and 6 of them I needed the wider 16:9 view.

The 3mp cameras are the best cameras I have used, and I have tried the 2 and the 4mp cameras and greatly prefer the 3 for many reasons. Hope they stay around for a long time!

Jweaver

n3wb
Reaction score
If you set your 3mp camera to 2mp, it will go to 1920x1080 and will be 16:9.

I personally use a ton of the 3mp cameras and greatly prefer them as I like the flexibility of having both 4:3 and 16:9 views in a single camera. That is one of my big complaints in the 4mp and higher cameras as I need varying coverage many times. I installed 14 Hikvision cameras yesterday and 8 of them I chose 4:3, and 6 of them I needed the wider 16:9 view.

The 3mp cameras are the best cameras I have used, and I have tried the 2 and the 4mp cameras and greatly prefer the 3 for many reasons. Hope they stay around for a long time!
Not for me it doesn't.. I have it set to 1920x1080P and the ratio is the same as 2048x1536:
hikvision video settings.JPG

When I go into the web front end and look at the CONFIG -> DISPLAY option, I see a 4:3 frame and it looks correct..

Hikvision  Display Settings.JPG

And when I go into Live View, I see a 16:9 image, but its squashed (as its been stretched horizontally):

Hikvision Live View.JPG

I also get exactly the same effect when I look at my DVR (DS-7208HQHI) and also when I access the camera from Hikvisions software (iVMS-4500 and 4200)

Am I overlooking something obvious?

Jon

Edit. I am not convinced that changing the resolution is having an effect.. I just tried 1280x720 and the live view is still huge with no apparent reduction in resolution..

Last edited by a moderator:

Kroegtijgertje

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
You can manually adjust screen size in Live View by adjusting the browser size. (don't put the browser on fullscreen)

SpeedyDave

n3wb
Reaction score
Picture in "Live View" is a "squashed 16:9. Double click the image to get "full screen" and the image is correctly proportioned.

Jweaver

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks all for your help.. I found the 16:9 button in live view, but it was still wrong on my DVR.. BUt after days of fiddling around, the problem has simply vanished.. now the aspect ratio is fine.

I wonder if this is related to another problem I have found, where the 'config' keeps changing, which sometimes sets the resolution incorrectly.. I am wondering if my DVR has the ability to change the video settings so am leaving everything alone for now, to try and build some confidence.

Cheers

Jon

badmannen

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
i been flipping around between nvr, webinterface, ivms4200, 4500, etc, and one or several of them force their own settings on videoresolution and other irritating things wether you ask for it or not it seems . they should really make the config stay at one place and be pulled everytime you acess it. i think the nvr change the time, dst settings as well which i find really annoying...

annyway maybe i didnt add anything but just saying =)

Jweaver

n3wb
Reaction score
i been flipping around between nvr, webinterface, ivms4200, 4500, etc, and one or several of them force their own settings on videoresolution and other irritating things wether you ask for it or not it seems . they should really make the config stay at one place and be pulled everytime you acess it. i think the nvr change the time, dst settings as well which i find really annoying...

annyway maybe i didnt add anything but just saying =)
I think thats exactly what I am seeing, as I have been playing with different apps and something (havn't worked out what yet) is changing my config.

I wonder if a way to solve this is to create a user or operator level account, which doens't have the option to change config.. .This could be the user that you login with from your application or DVR/NVR?

Jon

badmannen

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I just solve it by only saving final settings from one place. And if I see that something messed up I just restore it. But yes good point with more users. I never thought I would need it but for this it makes sense maybe

Sent from my One Plus X using tapatalk