Hikvision DS-2CD7A26G0/P-IZHS8 night settings

swvalenti

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello all I am at the end of the rope here with trying to get this camera to capture plates at night. I have tirelessly searched this forum and used every post on night settings to config my camera with no avail. I am looking for the communities help with making this work. Attached are my current settings, daytime is great but night time no capture, so frustrating. Please help for my sanity. Regards, Scott

Attachments

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
While I do not use that camera for reading plates and this camera is made for ANPR, I can tell you that your shutter is way too slow for starters (called exposure time in your camera). You need to turn off WDR and use HLC.

At night, we have to run a very fast shutter speed (1/2,000) and in B/W with IR and the image will be black. All you will see are head/tail lights and the plate. Very few people have enough light to run color at night and looking at that image I think you are in that boat as well.

You need to get it off of auto scheduled image settings and have it kick into night settings 45 minutes before dark or when it gets dark at that shutter speed it will not be able to focus, or run the camera 24/7 in B/W.

Here is a representative sample of plates I get at night of vehicles traveling about 45MPH to demonstrate what the image should look like when configured properly:

1607010182386.png

Last edited:

swvalenti

n3wb
Reaction score
Thank you for the quick response I went ahead and changed the settings to what you mentioned, I will report back with hopefully a successful capture.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
That would be correct. Kick it to the night setting while still enough light out so it can focus with that faster shutter.

What I do not know is does that camera have the ability to force a focus, meaning you can set the focus for B/W during the day time so that it will go to whatever focus setting you determined for night?

Most of us do not use an ANPR camera and instead use another camera that we set up to capture plates, but many of those cameras do not have native the ability to force a focus, so unless we use a script to set the focus, if we let the camera auto change to night settings, when the faster shutter kicks in at night and only sees a black image, it will hunt for a focus all night.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The best thing to do, and it might be a little tough if that road gets a lot of traffic, is that many of us would have someone stop a car in the field of view to be able to dial in all the settings.

After you get the shutter speed correct to account for the speed of a moving vehicle, then the rest of the parameters can be set with a car not moving.

TVille

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Honestly I don't know but willing to pay someone to TeamViewer in and make it work at night.
Yeah, that would require you to park a car at that location and have someone make adjustments when it is totally dark. Here in VA, that would mean like 9:30 pm or later.

I went through this a couple of months ago. Make it BLACK!! Literally. I am hardly an expert, but here is a shot from early this morning. There is a streetlight 35' from the plate in this picture. My 5442 series Dahua can see people here without any IR light. Then you have to make sure the focus is right on, so switch it early so it can focus. There is a LOT of information in posts on how to set it up, just spend 20 minutes adjusting it one night, and you will get it very close. I am only running 1/500 sec, but it works for me as my location is at a stop sign, they sort slow down there. :)

Screenshot 2021-06-19 112653rs.png

swvalenti

n3wb
Reaction score
It is not a busy street at all it is a residential cul-de-sac, I will give all you suggested a shot and report back I hope to get this right sooner than later. Appreciate the responses.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Awesome capture! In the rain too!

swvalenti

n3wb
Reaction score
Sorry to kick this back up but can someone please explain to me the "scheduled image settings" Common day and night part in particular. No matter what time I change day or night to time wise it saves then marries to day or night if that makes sense. No distinct time difference between day and night. How do I make that change or I can't? Thanks

swvalenti

n3wb
Reaction score
Is it the dat/night switch or the scheduled image settings that needs to be adjusted for some reason the camera defaulted I believe and it's not reading plates at night.