Hikvision DS-2DF8236I-AEL PTZ

GCoco

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Looking at this camera to patrol my front yard and gravel road in front. Camera will be about 250' from the road. Using a focal length calculator it appears that I can easily read license plates with zoom during the day. With the smart IR will I be able to read the plates at night? Normally I would have to set the shutter speed at 1/500 to keep glare down from IRs and plate light, but would like to keep at 1/30 for good daytime images. (Camera has smart tracking and 6 to 205mm zoom so plenty of pixels to read plate).

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Are you thinking that the smart tracking is going to follow vehicles down the road in the middle of the night and then zoom in to read the vehicle's license plate?

MR2

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
it's not that smart
it does not zoom in on the guys face, just follows him around, I'm going to get one in a month so I'll let you know if there are any options (DS-2DF823615W-AELW)

GCoco

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Thank you. I was hoping someone had real experience with one.

littlebandit

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thank you. I was hoping someone had real experience with one.
I've installed 2 of these for clients now and the auto tracking won't track a car and read its licence plate. Auto tracking is mediocre at best, on a windy night, rain, leaves etc will have it following and zooming in everywhere no matter how you configure intrusion detection or the region of interest. Cars moving at more than 15mph will be long out of range before the autotracking can get a fix and start to zoom in.

As for the zoom level in the auto tracking feature, you have to set this to a specific zoom level, so for a person you might set it to a zoom of x2 to get a decent face shot but then that zoom level will be too much for a vehicle. Even during the day zoom can be flaky, it can stop tracking things for no apparent reason and for others it can track them for ages.

Face tracking is useless, it gives off face alerts even in an empty parking lot.

The camera itself has fantastic day and night footage, night in colour with any kind of lighting will work perfectly and the IR levels for long range zoom in pitch dark are some of the best I've seen.

But don't expect much from the auto tracking. Its better than the cheaper tracking PTZ's out there but by no means intelligent