Hikvision DS-7108N-SN/P cam view & link issue

Jaques

n3wb
Reaction score
I can't figure out how to get a live tv/hdmi view from my setup.
That's after reading all the stuff on here and elsewhere.
The camera is a new HIK S-2CD1121-I 4mm POE, SV: v5.4.5_170123. (Upgradeable)
The NVR is older, SV: v3.0.7 build 140805. Not upgradeable.
Have been following the advice on here by Alistair and others.
Also, the HIK Activation article here, IP cameras HIKVISION - activation and connection - Security and Communications - ELVIS Company, Kyiv, Ukraine
The setup is the cam directly into a NVR POE port, and the NVR LAN into my local router.
Using cable, but router also has wifi.
With the POE subnet at 192.168.254.xxx I can't see where the camera IP address is entered, or how the NVR otherwise finds the cameras.
The setup is per defaults, except for setting strong PWs for the cam and NVR, and enabling DHCP to set the NVR IP details to match my local LAN, then disabling DHCP.
The cam, if disconnected from the NVR and plugged into the router, works fine.
Just have to change the NVR channel from 192.168.254.xxx to the camera's IP address.
SADP then brings up the NVR and cam, and the hdmi and NVR detection all work.
Is this the only way (except by plugging the router through the POE then into the NVR LAN port)?
I am puzzled by this.
Thanks.

Last edited:

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
I can't see where the camera IP address is entered
In the NVR web GUI, under Camera Management, is set the IP address to be used to address the camera.
The default for NVR PoE channel 1 is 192.168.254.2
Then, if Plug&Play is not active, ie the channel is in Manual mode, if the camera IP address is changed to match the channel, ie 192.168.254.2 (can be done with SADP while the camera is on the LAN), it should work when plugged into PoE port 1. Assuming password is valid / protocol=Hikvision / port=8000.

Jaques

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks, The HIK Poe camera is now working great.
Tried to get the 720p Chinese ONVIF onto the NVR the same way.
Tried to use ONVIF device manager to set the IP address from the default 192.168.1.108 to 192.168.254.3.
Not good idea. I think I may have bricked it. ONVIF DM does not load up showing a Device IP now.
Anyway that's not a camera I planned to use on the system.
Looking for a good app now. A mate bought a lifetime Blue Iris license for about $60 - a good move do you think?

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Tried to use ONVIF device manager to set the IP address from the default 192.168.1.108 to 192.168.254.3.
Not good idea. I think I may have bricked it. ONVIF DM does not load up showing a Device IP now.
Unlikely to have bricked the camera - ODM will only find cameras on the same subnet as the PC it runs on, unlike SADP for Hikvision which will find cameras on the same wiring no matter what their IP address is.

Suggestion:
If the CN camera is now plugged in to the NVR PoE port #2, change the PC IP address to, say, 192.168.254.100 and connect it to a spare NVR PoE port and it should find the camera, if the IP address did change.
And if the camera does show up OK, you need to be sure what the 'ONVIF port' is for the camera in order to set the ONVIF configuration in the NVR.
It may not be 80, it can vary a lot.
The 'ONVIF port' can be seen in ODM in the URL at the bottom of the 'Identification' page.

Jaques

n3wb
Reaction score
I set up the laptop in the 192.168.254.xxx address space and connected the ONVIF camera through the Poe ports.
Using ipconfig and other tools it did not show the cam. Tried a few other things including ODM, and scanning and pinging (sequentially) the address space without luck. Seems the glitch when I tried to reset its IP might have set it up anywhere.
Been working a bit on a couple of HikV systems I'm setting up. Have 3 or 4 dome cameras on each. But uncertain about the cable I bought and whether aluminium cable (cca) is really suitable and safe for Poe. It's sold pretty widely here but don't think it has proper approval. Will get more (full copper) anyway. The cca I'll keep for non-Poe use.
One thing I don't understand is how would-be burglars can be deterred by an alarm. How that works with the nvrs I have puzzles me since there is no alarm output. I notice the dearer nvrs usually have them. Even the cheapo CCTV units have them. I need to research the software too.
Also, I've been thinking about how to put the nvr somewhere hidden, but where it can still be accessed by the owner.
The nvr works with a remote control but it would need a usb receiver that can be brought out into the room. Haven't seen anything like that, yet.
Finally, getting back to the ONVIF with unknown IP, I might try a sniffer like wireshark, and see if I can capture anything like an IP or MAC that might be broadcast when it boots up. Read about it. Might need a hand from someone more used to reading the capture. We'll see.
Thanks for the help.

Last edited:

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
How that works with the nvrs I have puzzles me since there is no alarm output.
It's an optional item on many models, just a small add-in board with a cable to the main board. And a hole in the back panel ...
Also, I've thinking about how to put the nvr somewhere hidden, but where it can still be accessed by the owner.
I run my main NVR 'headless', up on a shelf in a utility room. Not totally hidden, but certainly not obvious.
Finally, getting back to the ONVIF with unknown IP, I might try a sniffer like wireshark, and see if I can capture anything like an IP or MAC that might be broadcast when it boots up.
Certainly worth a try, it might just be hiding in plain sight.

Jaques

n3wb
Reaction score
Okay, here is the WireShark capture of the 3 frames from the first two seconds.
From the centre WS window.
That's after setting WS on capture first, then powering the cam on.

No. Time Source Destination Protocol Length Info

1 0.000000 :: ff02::16 ICMPv6 90 Multicast Listener Report Message v2

Frame 1: 90 bytes on wire (720 bits), 90 bytes captured (720 bits) on interface 0

Ethernet II, Src: JinanJov_5a:9f:00 (e0:62:90:5a:9f:00), Dst: IPv6mcast_16 (33:33:00:00:00:16)

Internet Protocol Version 6, Src: ::, Dst: ff02::16

Internet Control Message Protocol v6

2 0.910021 :: ff02::1:ff5a:9f00 ICMPv6 78 Neighbor Solicitation for fe80::e262:90ff:fe5a:9f00

Frame 2: 78 bytes on wire (624 bits), 78 bytes captured (624 bits) on interface 0

Ethernet II, Src: JinanJov_5a:9f:00 (e0:62:90:5a:9f:00), Dst: IPv6mcast_ff:5a:9f:00 (33:33:ff:5a:9f:00)

Internet Protocol Version 6, Src: ::, Dst: ff02::1:ff5a:9f00

3 1.910570 fe80::e262:90ff:fe5a:9f00 ff02::2 ICMPv6 70 Router Solicitation from e0:62:90:5a:9f:00

Frame 3: 70 bytes on wire (560 bits), 70 bytes captured (560 bits) on interface 0

Ethernet II, Src: JinanJov_5a:9f:00 (e0:62:90:5a:9f:00), Dst: IPv6mcast_02 (33:33:00:00:00:02)

Internet Protocol Version 6, Src: fe80::e262:90ff:fe5a:9f00, Dst: ff02::2

=============
First 2 frames seem similar, but Frame 3 has more details under IPV6.
That's with a simple Wiretek switch, laptop on one port and cam on another.
It's looking at the right connection because "Jinan" I remember is the camera maker.
Unfortunately I did not bother to keep any details, even a MAC, when I had it was first working with a proper IP address, but the name I recall.
Am I right I thinking the numbers in brackets after the Jinan name are the IP or MAC address?
Or is it the Internet Protocol V6 stuff where that is? Presume they translate to something?
Did this very quickly but I'm pretty sure the lines below the Frame were blank, and there was no "Jinan" shown, when I repeated the capture with the camera off.

Getting late here, thanks.

Last edited:

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Am I right I thinking the numbers in brackets after the Jinan name are the IP or MAC address?
Yes, that's the MAC address, JinanJov is showing because they've been assigned a MAC address range as a manufacturer.
Without a 'port mirroring' capability on the switch, all you will see from other nodes (even with your LAN interface in promiscuous mode) is broadcasts, unless your PC is a destination for the traffic.

Your capture (by the way, check out the 'code' tags under the + selection of the forum edit menu) is IPv6 - no IPv4.
Now, I'm guessing here as I have little practical experience of IPv6, but it's looking like your camera now has IPv4 disabled, but may be operating normally on IPv6.
Presumably you have it enabled on the PC as Wireshark is capturing it.
Is it enabled on the router?
If not, and it's possible, it may be interesting to enable it and see if anything changes.