HikVision DS-7204HGHI-SH problems

Reaction score
I am supporting this for a friend. It's a few days old.

Chrome refuses to recognise that WebExtensions has been installed.
IE allows it to work (mostly).
WebExtensions OCX version is 3.0.5.51 dated April 13, 2015.
One or two things trouble me:
1. Menus differ from the downloaded manual, eg Network Settings->Email there is no 'Test Email' button. I had to work out that enabling and disabling 'Video loss' on an analogue video channel with no camera attached would generate an email for me. (I'm in Australia, the device is in London so I couldn't wave at the camera to use motion detection to set it off)
2. Clicking 'Capture' during live view doesn't save any files anywhere on my computer, let alone in the default 'Users/username/Web/xxx' folders, even though it pops up a window saying 'Capture succeeded'.
3. Downloading Video files, same problem. It either fails to download (3 and 4MB files) or it slowly downloads (larger files) until it says 'Download complete' but once again the file never turns up.

Also, it would be nice if I could configure a larger image in the email than the tiny thumbnail it sends.

Can anyone shed any light on these issues?

Thanks
Patrick

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Chrome refuses to recognise that WebExtensions has been installed.
The current version of Chrome no longer allows installation and running of Plug-ins. Nor does the Edge browser in Windows 10

Menus differ from the downloaded manual,
Menus and their functionality vary with the firmware version, and don't really get updated to track changes. +1 on your workaround method.

Clicking 'Capture' during live view doesn't save any files anywhere on my computer, let alone in the default 'Users/username/Web/xxx' folders, even though it pops up a window saying 'Capture succeeded'.
I would bet that the files and videos are saved - but not where you would expect them! Due to IE11/Windows use of 'Virtualised folders' that are hidden and hard to find.
Once I figured this out, I added a new Library location so I would not have to figure it out again.
In my case, the files are stored in "I:\Users\Alastair\Local Settings\Microsoft\Windows\Temporary Internet Files\Virtualized\I\Users\Alastair\Web"
This location should be able to be found if in Windows Explorer View Settings you enable display of hidden/system files and OS files and do a search for *.mp4 for the videos.

Also, it would be nice if I could configure a larger image in the email than the tiny thumbnail it sends.
That's a topic covered in some recent threads - I don't think there was any solution except use the cameras to generate the emails not the NVR.

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. I'm using Windows 7 with IE11. I have 'show hidden files' on always and 'hide system files' off always.
I did a search on the entire drive for '*' and sorted files by date (803 thousand files). If it downloaded anything it's (1) not a video/image file and (b) the filename is unrelated to what the HikVision called it.
Limiting the search to '*.mp4' turns up no files in the last two years. I think the download software has been confused by the virtual folder arrangement and written the files to the bit bucket...

ALso it looks like Chrome night be my 'outgoing' browser (again)

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
sorted files by date (803 thousand files).
Wow! That's a lot of files.

I just did the same search that I quoted - and it's not finding my downloaded pics & videos either, using *.mp4 and starting at \Users
But it does find them OK if I start at \Users\Alastair\Local Settings
I think it's skipping non-indexed locations in the search - despite being configured not to.

Reaction score
Hmmm... I have no 'Local Settings' folder. That went out with XP didn't it...

I have to use \Users\path\AppData then choose one of Local or LocalLow or Roaming. But I find nothing useful in there...

Reaction score
I'm struggling with this thing... connection is bad and the WebComponents add-in is bodgy as hell and fails when the connection is poor. It came up again just now and I used Firefox browser, changed the Local Configuration to point all folders to C:\Web instead of C:\Users\..., and now it's saving files there. I think it just had write permission problems on C:\Users\path\Web, but has no error handling code so never told me.