Hikvision DS-7608 - how to access cams on LAN

manikm

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi guys

This is different to the sticky as the cams are permanently browsable and no editing of network connections is necessary and allows recording to cloud services, such as _Cloud Video Monitoring for Homes & Small Business | Camcloud

Just thought I'd share something which has bugged me for ages now, and that is not being able to browse to the cams plugged into the hikvision internal poe switch from the LAN due to the fact that the nvr insists on using a different subnet for the cameras.

I tried a few things when I first bought the nvr , but couldn't get it working so I gave up, UNTIL last night when I was able to spend some more time on it.

Prereqs:
You will need to know your cameras admin login and password, you will also need an external poe switch (quite cheap thesedays)

Here is what you need to do.

Let's assume the nvr has a 192.168.0.x address but the internal nvr poe switch is 192.168.254.x so all cams plugged in it get a 254.x address.

Because of this you cannot then browse to these cams on your LAN in the usual fashion because of this subnet.

So using an external poe switch (enough to host all of your cameras) plug a network cable from your LAN into the external poe switch. (If the nvr is not near a network point you can use homeplugs I.e network over mains)

Now plug a cable from the external poe switch into a spare port on the nvrs internal poe switch. (This is temporary)

Now, on a laptop or pc , install the hikvision sapd tool. Once installed, run it and it should discover and reveal all the 254.x cameras from the NVR - this now let's you edit the cameras TO be on your LAN

Edit each one in turn to be a 192.168.0.x address or whatever your LAN is.

Once they're all done. You can then actually unplug the cable from poe switch to nvr switch.

Now on the nvr config , goto cameras and you should see the reconfigured cameras showing in a green font with your 192.168.0.x addresses BUT you still need to add them - manually, you do this by choosing manual method rather than plug and play.

As you are adding them you will need to enter the cameras ip addresses along with their admin login and password for each camera.

Once done you should then see the cameras output as usual on the nvr BUT in addition be able to browse to all your cameras using any browser (Firefox is best as live view works) on your lan, meaning you could then add them to a nas surveillance station software if you have one or to a cloud web provider for recording the cameras to cloud.

I hope this helps others. I know it's bugged me.

Ps by doing this, it also means that you can now plug any supported cams into your router or network anyway in the house and be able to add them to the nvr poe access permitting. Very handy.

My nvr now has nothing plugged into the internal ports of the nvr and I'm recording to its internal hdd and recording to a cloud provider

Cheers

Last edited:

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Maybe do a search for discussions on 'Virtual Host', the built-in ability to access the web GUI of PoE-connected cameras.
Check if it's available on your firmware version / if so enable it under Network | Advanced Settings | Other
And if you need to do more with the cameras than access their web GUI (eg telnet/SSH, letting another NVR access them etc), setting up a static route gives full access.
No need for any other changes or wiring.