HIKVision DS-7608NI-E2 / 8P/A abnormal shutdowns

Sharky24

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi all

I've just inherited a setup with a Hikvision DS-7608NI-E2/8P/A DVR (with 4 cameras connected) which is behaving strangely.

Almost every day (as far back as the logs go back to in May 2020) there are log entries showing:

Operation Local: Abnormal Shutdown

This always happens at around 00:05 and 18:45 on most days.

A couple of minutes after the abnormal shutdown it comes back online and I see log entries showing the power back on and the various components coming back online: For example:

Information HDD Information 1
Operation Power On

I've checked the UPS that the DVR is connected to and that seems happy to power it for around 3 hours when I disconnect it from the mains power supply.

The firmware is V3.4.95 build 170626 which could be updated but it's reasonably up to date.

I've run the bad sector and smart checks on the built-in (and only) HDD and there doesn't seem to be any issues on that.

Looking at the playback I can see the recordings stop for all 4 cameras between the shutdown and when it comes back.

Because the abnormal shutdowns happen at almost the same times each day I'm wondering if there something in the DVR that could be spiking itself and causing it to shutdown?

Is there a way I can further interrogate the log entries on the DVR that may give me a clue what could be causing these shutdowns?

I don't see any option to enable the telnet feature that could potentially give me access to more clues.

Anyone got some bright ideas?

Thank you

HbW

n3wb
Reaction score
Sharky

I am a NOOB when it comes to IP camera functionality, but I too was experiencing that same issue after playing around three days ago (which coincides with when my abnormal shutdown problems started) with the hardware on my DS-7604NI-K1 / 4P(B) with a single 8MP turret IP camera attached. I have no bandwidth or MTU or other network issues.

When I examined the Cat 6 cable network connection into the LAN port of the NVR from the router, I noticed that I hadn't re-seated the cable after disconnecting it 3 days ago - it was half seated so to speak. It was intermittently losing 'signal' for want of a better word and appears to have been forcing the NVR to reboot. So I reconnected it properly & so far - no Abnormal Shutdowns for me for the last 3 hours and fingers crossed.

Some research I have done indicates that dodgy network cables (shielded or unshielded) into the LAN port can trigger abnormal shutdowns. My issue appears as though I hadnt seated the connection with the audible click into the NVR. Others have reported that the shutdowns dont occur when the NVR is disconnected from the router and hence that leads me to believe that it MIGHT be network cable related. Try a different Cat5e / Cat6 network cable or disconnect from your router and see if you still experience the abnormal shutdowns. I am crossing my fingers....

The shutdown timing is likely to be totally random if it is network cable related IMO.

Dean

HbW

n3wb
Reaction score
Ok I spoke too soon. Seems it may not be related to my unseated cable. This annoying problem persists with regular abnormal shutdowns. Hopefully someone more experienced can assist?

Sharky24

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi Dean

Sorry to hear that your abnormal shutdowns didn't go away. I've changed cables etc but nothing seemed to stop the shutdowns apart from when I disabled the port that the DVR is connected to on the switch.

In the end I set an automated task on the switch to disable the port at 00:00 and then re-enabled it at 00:15. This seemed to stop the shutdowns.

I did the same with the port at 18:45 - 19:00 which initially did the trick but then it started shutting down at 20:25 instead when the port was once again active.

I don't know of any cable that only malfunctions at fairly specific times of the day. Something else must be triggering the shutdowns...

HIKVision have said reset to factory defaults (which I did with a recent firmware upgrade) or change the IP address (which I haven't done yet).

HbW

n3wb
Reaction score
I might change my IP address to the old one I used before this upgrade to camera.

HbW

n3wb
Reaction score
Ok so an update to the Abnormal Shutdown issues on my Hik NVR - seems it may have been the old Cat 5e network cable I use to connect from router to back of NVR was a bit suspect. I did change the IP address of the NVR, re-installed the Hik-Connect app and changed the network cable to a newer cables and for the last 6 hours, no abnormal shutdowns. Will post an update if this wasnt the issue.

HbW

n3wb
Reaction score
Ok so I seem to be wrong on the cable front.

This is the strangest of things but the Error Log in the Maintenance tab, is indicating some other device on a different IP address, is accessing my NVR and rebooting my NVR at a time of the night when I was in bed and not accessing the NVR configuration page. My NVR is a DS-7604NI-K1/4P(B) with single 8MP turret IP camera linked via one POE port to the rear of the unit.

Have a look at the log below. My default gateway is 192.168.1.1 and my NVR IP add was on 192.168.1.8 but my LOG indicates some other device is accessing the ADMIN rights locally to the NVR in the Remote Host ID field and possibly forcing a reboot?

Is it possible my phone with the HIK Connect app running all the time could be responsible for this behaviour? I certainly was NOT AWAKE at 0250 hours yesterday as per the log below to force the reboot! Could HIK-Connect be responsible? This only started after a recent upgrade of camera from 6mp to 8mp.

662020-12-15 02:50:26 OperationRemote: Login admin 192.168.1.2
672020-12-15 02:50:27 OperationRemote: Alarm Arming admin 192.168.1.2

Is this at all possible? I am 99.9% certain that the IP address ending with .2 was my mobile phone with the Hik Connect app installed. The log shows that I logged into the NVR on that device prior to going to bed.

Could there be devices responsible for rebooting the device that are in the LAN or WAN networks?

Cheers

Last edited:

Rudyjr

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I had this same issue a couple of years ago. I downloaded an update from the manufacturer for my NVR and the issue was resolved.

HbW

n3wb
Reaction score
I had this same issue a couple of years ago. I downloaded an update from the manufacturer for my NVR and the issue was resolved.
Looks like I have resolved my issue. When I recently reset the NVR settings, I seem to have installed an international firmware rather thant the firmware specific to my AUS region. A quick update of firmware to correct firmware has resolved the random rebooting issues and I can tweak settings higher now without having to down grade settings to prevent reboots.

So in essence, the wrong firmware for my model was leading to random power down reboots.

Thanks for your assistance and comments