Hikvision DS-7608NI-E2/8P - HDD Error

butwhy

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi All,

I've just got a Hikvision DS-7608NI-E2/8P with 2 x 4TB WD Purple drives (all brand new). For some reason I keep getting random alerts of "HDD Error" there's no further information of what it means. The manual doesn't explain it, and nor does a google search.

I've tried re-initialising the drive. I've done a full Smart Error detection and Bad sector detection with no luck.

Does anyone have any idea what "HDD error" means / it's implications? It seems to record footage without problems (motion only).

Firmware:
V3.0.8 build 140825
Encoding Version: V5.0 build 140816
8 POE ports

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
It sounds like something is faulty.
Is it the same HDD each time? In the log it's listed under the channel number column, presumably you know you can query specifically for this.
My 7816N-E2/8P has the same firmware, and 2 WD Purple drives, 4TB and 3TB, and has shown no HDD errors against them since installation last October.
Though I do get daily HDD errors against channel 17 (NAS destination) at 07:16 when the NAS does its daily re-boot.

If you are still testing your NVR, maybe try disconnecting one of the drives, then the other, then swap over, to see if the problem can be associated with either a specific drive or a specific SATA interface.

corkangel76

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
have you tried different sata cables? or perhaps a multi meter to insure that you are getting proper DC power output to the hard drive?

butwhy

n3wb
Reaction score
Ok I'll have to start the tedious process of trouble shooting. I believe the second hard drive is sleeping so I'll figure out which hard drive is physically drive one. I might then remove drive one and see how it goes.

From memory I don't think the log actually specified which drive was causing the error, but I'll check.

I'll also see if changing the ups output voltage from 220v to 240v makes any difference. (I'm in Australia)

I'll have to source a spare sata cable to try.

butwhy

n3wb
Reaction score
So weird. I get email alerts about 4 times a day about the HDD errors, but I can't actually find anything in the logs.... Fingers crossed the 3.3.1 firmware sorts it

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Dumb question, for which apologies - definitely the NVR and not something you have set up on the cameras? And does the email mention an HDD number?
Have you experimented with a NAS destination on either the cameras or NVR?

butwhy

n3wb
Reaction score
Dumb question, for which apologies - definitely the NVR and not something you have set up on the cameras? And does the email mention an HDD number?
Have you experimented with a NAS destination on either the cameras or NVR?
No dumb questions - I'm the one that's too dumb to get it working - so I'm humbly looking for any advice!

I have previously experimented with a NAS on the NVR but didn't get it working so deleted it. I did have the NAS set up on a single camera previously (worked well), but I factory reset it before hooking up to the NVR.

No the email just says:

This is an automatically generated e-mail from your NVR.

EVENT TYPE: HDD Error
EVENT TIME: 2015-07-25,15:17:29
NVR NAME: Network Video Recorder
NVR S/N: ****

No HDD number or any further info.

I went back through every camera and the NVR to make sure there's no NAS settings still present

I've updated to v3.3.1 on the NVR. Fingers crossed it helps.

corkangel76

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
again, any news on the cables, power output from on the 12v DC inputs? I rarely think firmware would cause an HDD error. Also did you try re-formatting the drive in the NVR just to see if *maybe* it has bad sectors?

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
I've tried re-initialising the drive. I've done a full Smart Error detection and Bad sector detection with no luck.
Already checked, I think.

The newer NVR firmware quite usefully provides access to the HDD S.M.A.R.T. data, as well as the automated hourly checks of it, so any real problems should show up there.

Attachments

corkangel76

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Your hard drive appears to be getting "up there" in age, 3.3 years of continuous power on? That could also be an issue as well. The drive appears also to have seek/read error raw values that are off the charts compared to my new drive that was just put into service a couple months ago. Just food for thought mate.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Very observant! And thanks for the comments.
Yes, the drive has spent most of its life in a set-top box, a Sky HD+ box I was gifted, now dismantled, I'm just using it as a scratch drive at the moment.
On the seek error rate - that's a 'time since the drive last had to use hardware error correction', so a high value is good.
Mostly we focus on 'reallocated sectors' as a future failure indicator - but real errors have actually occurred by the time we start getting counts in there.
A reducing value for 'seek error rate' is an indication that hardware error correction is having to be used, before an actual uncorrectable error occurs, so can be useful, but harder to interpret.

butwhy

n3wb
Reaction score
again, any news on the cables, power output from on the 12v DC inputs? I rarely think firmware would cause an HDD error. Also did you try re-formatting the drive in the NVR just to see if *maybe* it has bad sectors?

I had already reformated the drives with no luck. (Both are brand new)

However, as part of troubleshooting another issue which alastairstevenson kindly helped me with, I had to update the firmware to 3.3.1. I also did a physical power cycle, and another re format of both drives. Anyway, I didn't want to report back too early in case I jinxed it, but 24 hrs of no HDD errors so far! :) I'm not sure exactly what did it. But I get the feeling the soft reboot on the Hikvision NVR's aren't quite as good flicking the power switch.

Thanks for everyones suggestions! Wonderful forum

wxjoe

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Already checked, I think.

The newer NVR firmware quite usefully provides access to the HDD S.M.A.R.T. data, as well as the automated hourly checks of it, so any real problems should show up there.

This image from your iPAD?