Hikvision DS-7616NI-SE/P NVR Replacement

Reaction score
I have an aging Hikvision DS-7616NI-SE/P NVR I installed back in 2015. It's starting to get a bit unreliable, so I'm looking for a replacement. All of my cameras have the "-IWS" option and I have mics on every camera and a lot of remote alarms wired to door sensors, etc. I've asked Hikvision tech support several times but I've never received an answer to this question. Do I need to be concerned about any replacement NVR not supporting remote audio and alarms from the cameras? I see no mention of these features in any of the current user manuals. I do see that some -IWS cams are still sold. Should I be worried about loosing these features? The most likely replacement NVR is probably going to be the DS-7616NI-I2/16.

Second question. The old DS-7616NI-SE/P was a bit odd since it was a 16-channel NVR, but only had 8 PoE ports. Any cameras past 8 had to not be on the private PoE network and had to be on the same network as the LAN1 external interface (i.e. my home network.) Because of this, There's only 8 cables run to my NVR. My other cams are on my home network. Do the current NVRs still support adding cameras not on the private PoE network? (This isn't a deal-breaker like the camera audio and alarms as I can always run more cable. It would just be nice to not have to.)

Thanks for any enlightenment!
Mike Johnson

DS-7616NI-I2/16P

DS-7616NI-I2/16P

triumph202

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Reaction score
Thanks for the info! I hadn't looked past the 7600 series. The 7800 and especially the NXI versions are more than I need. Looking at the data sheets, I discovered that the 7700 and 7800 series list "Stream type" in the Decoding section as "Video, Video & Audio", which answers my original question about "Does the 7600 do remote audio?". (None of the 7600 data sheets list Stream type in the specs, so I still don't know if they support audio or not.) I'm sure my recent 7600 problems are partially caused by adding a camera and I know I'm bumping up against the bandwidth limit, so looking up the line (and spending a bit more money) is a really good idea and one I hadn't seriously considered. All my cams are 2MP or more, but I've been stuck using 1080 because my NVR won't handle more than that. Thanks of getting me to re-think this!

triumph202

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I discovered that the 7700 and 7800 series list "Stream type" in the Decoding section as "Video, Video & Audio", which answers my original question about "Does the 7600 do remote audio?".
Mine is a 7608NI-I2/8P, it does record/ decode an audio/ video stream from a camera. (I wasn't sure what you meant by "remote audio".) I've got cameras with built in mics and two with external mics that are wired back through the cameras. They all work fine. One is a Dahua with an inbuilt mic and it works fine using ONVIF.

jon102034050

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
If it was me, I'd be trying to track down one of the DS-78XX series. The 16 channel versions run at 320Mbps - twice the capacity of the 76 series.
That extra capacity will help with any future camera upgrades. e.g. I've got an 8MP camera on my DS-7608 and am finding the 80Mbps (10Mbps per channel) limiting the picture quality.
Any idea where to source the DS-7816NXI at? I've searched high and low and can't come up with anything

triumph202

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Any idea where to source the DS-7816NXI at? I've searched high and low and can't come up with anything
Same here.

A lot of the Dahua NVR's seem to have incoming bandwidths greater than 10Mbps per channel and are readily available. I'm not sure how compatible they are/ how well they work with Hik cameras though?