Hikvision DS-7716NI-SP/16 Clip "Downloading Failed"

BillyBob

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello all,

I'm a newbie and I just set-up my first NVR, a Hikvision DS-7716NI-SP/16. It all seems to be working, however, when I login to the NVR via my web browser, go to Playback, and then try to download a video clip, one of two things occurs:

1) If I have my local configuration set to download to the default folder (c:\Users\myname\USSCWeb\RecordFile), the download appears to work, I get the "Downloaded" message, HOWEVER, nothing is actually downloaded into that folder, nor is it downloaded anywhere else on my hard drive. It just doesn't do it!

2) If I have my local configuration set to download to a folder at the root of my C: drive (C:\XYZ), the download does not work and gives an error of "Download Failed".

I'm stumped. Any ideas? I am running firmware V3.1.3 build 141202 on the NVR (this is what came on it). Should I update the firmware?

BillyBob

n3wb
Reaction score
Never mind! I figured it out. For some reason, I needed to run my browser as Administrator. Now it works as expected. I suspect my network admin is playing games with our workstation virus protection or the group policy (again)!!

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
1) If I have my local configuration set to download to the default folder (c:\Users\myname\USSCWeb\RecordFile), the download appears to work, I get the "Downloaded" message, HOWEVER, nothing is actually downloaded into that folder, nor is it downloaded anywhere else on my hard drive. It just doesn't do it!
Windows places the files into a 'virtualised' location that's pretty hard to find. It varies with the path you specified, IE, Windows version etc.
If you do a search down your user folder tree that includes 'hidden / system files' for *.mp4 you can spot where Windows placed it.

skeet25

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I'm experiencing the same issue as the OP. I opened Windows Explorer with "Run as administrator", navigated to C:\Users\myname\Web\DownloadFiles and still don't see the downloaded *.mp4 clips. So, I went to the "Save downloaded files to" option in the NVR, and did a browse, and was able to see the dated folders...

When I changed the "Save downloaded files to" location to F:\ which is a USB thumb drive, I was able to see the files with Windows Explorer.

Alastair - had no luck with the search...

Any thoughts?

skeet25

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Found it, I had to open Internet Explorer with "Run as administrator", apparently for the browser to get permission to the user folders. I misunderstood the above post by the OP :)

As an exercise, I would still like to find where Windows placed the files the first time...

My second challenge was to play the *.mp4 files, no luck with VLC, I had to use VSPlayer, apparently due to the encoding from the Hikvision NVR. Are there other options?