Hikvision DS-kV8113 , not enough power/voltage to doorlock/eletric strike

Reaction score
Hi All

I replaced my old bpt intercom system, with a hikvision ds-kv113 ( POE wired)
I took this model because it has a door unlock feature I need to use to open our front yard port with an electric strike ( 12v).
But it looks like it only get +- 5 volt at the eletric strike..

I have one cat5 cable coming up and its hard to provide additional cable ( utp or power). ( old intercom worked with the same electric strike also using the same cat5 cable..)

Do you guys know a solution?

this is how i did the wiring ( see attach1)
mine is slightly different but i did the exact same wiring (attacht2) --> connected com with 12v then "gnd" (next to12v to electric striek), and NO1 to electric strike. (also tried NC1)

Attachments

user8963

Known around here
Reaction score
Is the wiring diagramm made by you ?

According to my knowledge, these devices have no 12V output.

You can power it by poe OR 12V.

There is a diode which prevent the 12V output. If you want a strike you need an AC power supply. You connect 1 wire from the ac power supply to the strike and the other one into the intercom (COM1 or NO1) and then connect another wire from the intercom (the remaining contact NO1 or COM1) to the strike.

Reaction score
Is the wiring diagramm made by you ?

According to my knowledge, these devices have no 12V output.

You can power it by poe OR 12V.

There is a diode which prevent the 12V output. If you want a strike you need an AC power supply. You connect 1 wire from the ac power supply to the strike and the other one into the intercom (COM1 or NO1) and then connect another wire from the intercom (the remaining contact NO1 or COM1) to the strike.
ok ay thanks for the info, no diagram is from youtube video ( looks to work on his setup there... Hikvision Kis602 IP Video Intercom Phone Electromagnetic - EM Door Lock Wiring connection setup - YouTube

user8963

Known around here
Reaction score
@electronized

i have one of these devices here - made a short test

so there is a voltage output on the GND and 12V pin, but it is a bit strange. It seems that they use capacitor which has to load if powered by poe.
It started at around 3,8V
after 30min it was around 8V
after 50min it was around 11.5V
and after 1 hour it was around 12.4V

I connected a 1k resistor between the wires (have no strike here) and it returned back to 12.4V after disconnecting.
I have no idea if the voltage stays after a strike was used, you have to test yourself.
Maybe it works only a few times in an hour, then have to reload ???

i never have seen something like this... not sure if this is a function or badly pcb design

voltage1.jpgvoltage2.jpg

Old Timer

Known around here
Reaction score
I wonder if you will have to use a relay to switch a higher current supply.
Lot of strikers take more current.

user8963

Known around here
Reaction score
I wonder if you will have to use a relay to switch a higher current supply.
Lot of strikers take more current.
there are two relays inside the device. if you click on open door, the relay will switch

so in theory the OP is right, bridge +12v pin to COM1, connect NO1 to the strike and GND to the other pin of the strike.

i had open one device, normal small relays for maybe max 3amps @ 12V

Old Timer

Known around here
Reaction score
there are two relays inside the device. if you click on open door, the relay will switch

so in theory the OP is right, bridge +12v pin to COM1, connect NO1 to the strike and GND to the other pin of the strike.
I would think so.
Do you have a way to measure the current the striker takes when powered by a good 12v supply?
Then look at the specs of the intercom and see if it will provide that much?

user8963

Known around here
Reaction score
I would think so.
Do you have a way to measure the current the striker takes when powered by a good 12v supply?
Then look at the specs of the intercom and see if it will provide that much?
there are no specs. I dont think that it should even work like that...

if you think about it..

these devices are poe AF .. which means MAX 12,95W ... the device itself will take around 5-7W , so you have maybe 300-500mA left for the strike
so it makes sense that they use a capacitor for buffering.

so if too many people ring, at some point it will stop to have any remaining power for your strike.

i highly recommend to use an external power source !

Last edited:

Old Timer

Known around here
Reaction score
i highly recommend to use an external power source !

I agree, I think you will need an external 12v source.

Reaction score
okay thanks guys for the info! So next challenge is to get an extra cable to our front garden door... thanks again!