Hikvision DT387G2 - white light

Manic

n3wb
Reaction score
Silly me bought this camera thinking there were advances in IR tech that enabled colour at night. I use this camera at an AirBnB I manage and having the white light on at night is far to intrusive for guests. Without the light there is no night vision. Does anyone have any suggestions on making the most of this purchase where the white light is not always on at night or is it best to replace it for an IR model?

TIA

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
That is the biggest mistake people make is thinking these full color cameras are magic.

They are not.

They cannot defy physics.

All cameras need light - whether it be visible light or infrared light.

And these full color cameras cannot see infrared as they do not have an IR filter, so adding IR is useless.

If you do not have enough ambient light or do not want the light on, then you need to get a model with IR.

tech_junkie

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Silly me bought this camera thinking there were advances in IR tech that enabled colour at night. I use this camera at an AirBnB I manage and having the white light on at night is far to intrusive for guests. Without the light there is no night vision. Does anyone have any suggestions on making the most of this purchase where the white light is not always on at night or is it best to replace it for an IR model?

TIA
You always need a white light source for color. The only installs I saw that had color at night were well lit areas to begin with.
The DS-2CD2343G0-I is one of their better IR cameras I like to install, particularly the 2.8mm model.
I don't see the need to try the colorvue models. But you are not the first one to complain about their light on the camera either. I think it will be a here today gone tomorrow thing they tried.

drkinaus

n3wb
Reaction score
There's a specific FW that enables you to trigger LED only on events. Not sure if it's applicable for your particular camera model. Better to enquire with your local HikVision tech support for availability.

Last edited: