Hikvision Dual Lan ports

giavonnie

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello all I just purchased a Hikvision DS-9632NI-I8 NVR upgrading from a DS-7616NI-K2-16P NVR and I am a little confused on the setting up of the two Lan ports and the advantages and/or disadvantages of each configuration. I currently have 12 IP cameras running through three separate switches that then connect to my router and three cameras that run directly out of the poe ports on the back of the NVR.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
I am a little confused on the setting up of the two Lan ports and the advantages and/or disadvantages of each configuration.
It gives you some flexibility for distributing the cameras around the network in a way that suits requirements, for example so that you could have a physically separate camera network, and still have the NVR accessible via the 'normal' network.

I currently have 12 IP cameras running through three separate switches that then connect to my router
Hopefully not passing camera traffic through the router to the NVR or to a monitoring PC.
Some routers don't handle high volumes of camera traffic well, it can impact their primary task - routing.

giavonnie

n3wb
Reaction score
It gives you some flexibility for distributing the cameras around the network in a way that suits requirements, for example so that you could have a physically separate camera network, and still have the NVR accessible via the 'normal' network.

Hopefully not passing camera traffic through the router to the NVR or to a monitoring PC.
Some routers don't handle high volumes of camera traffic well, it can impact their primary task - routing.

Thank you for the quick reply "alast" I will set up Lan 1 to be the "normal" network with all my printers and computers gateway of 192.168.1.1 subnet 255.255.255.0 and then Lan 2 at 192.168.2.1 with subnet 255.255.255.0 with gateway 192.168.1.1 all my cameras will be ip range 192.168.2.2 - 192.168.2.200. If I have a laptop at 192.168.1.12 how would I see a camera at 192.168.2.34 for example. Lan 1 will connect directly to my Router and Lan 2 will connect to my main switch if I am correct ?

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
If I have a laptop at 192.168.1.12 how would I see a camera at 192.168.2.34 for example.
The simplest way would be to use the 'Virtual Host' facility of the NVR.
Enable at Network | Advanced settings | Other
Then use via the links in the 'Connect' column of System | Camera Management.

giavonnie

n3wb
Reaction score
The simplest way would be to use the 'Virtual Host' facility of the NVR.
Enable at Network | Advanced settings | Other
Then use via the links in the 'Connect' column of System | Camera Management.

That sounds good thank you will give it a try !!