Hikvision female RJ45 failure due to water ingress - easy fix

erkme73

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
I've had my second eyeball/turret camera fail due to water getting past the gaskets on the stock 'weathertight' connector. The latest was on a DS-2CD3345-I.

Once water gets into the connector, over time, the minerals in the water will form a bridge between the + an - terminals, creating heat which will melt both ends of the connection. Or, corrosion and rust will cause the delicate female spring-type pins to break. Either way, you end up with a perfectly functional camera, that has no viable way to connect to the network.

I carefully opened up the female end and documented the non-standard wire colors to a the proper color-coded pinout.

With the correct order, the trimmed pigtail can terminated with a standard male RJ45 end. Together with a real weathertight coupler, I was back in business.

Here's the the correct sequence for the colors. I've overlaid them on a standard RJ45 pinout:

upload_2017-1-6_20-21-50.png

That is: Orange / Yellow / Green / Grey / Purple / Blue / Brown / White

This is the coupler I used. The blue RJ45 I used is NOT rated for outdoor use, and the jacket cracked due to sunlight exposure. The cracks allowed water to get past the original seals. So the failure was self-inflicted. I will eventually replace this line with an outdoor rated cable. But for now, this shows how it works:

upload_2017-1-6_20-22-19.png

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

horseflesh

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Your images are broken. Can you check the links? They look like they point to gmail.

If you need a free and easy image host, try imgur.com.

Thanks in advance for the info, this is great.

erkme73

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
That is strange. I simply pasted them from my clipboard to the post window. And even now, I see the images.

erkme73

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Ok, I think I figured it out. I copied the text and images from an email I'd previously sent. It populated fine, but I guess that's because I was credentialed through my gmail account. I now used a screen capture tool to make copies of the images and paste them in. Let me know if they are still not visible.

mjb

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
This is an excellent solution and I've starting replacing my camera female RJ45 connectors with male connectors, especially since the female ones are prone to corrosion. However, I've found that Hikvision 2032 (R0) cameras (I have over 35 of them!) have TWO different types of wire settings. It is easy to tell which type you have. What I call type #1 has gray and white wires within the set of 8 that attaches to the RJ45 connector. Type #2 has black and red wires instead of the gray and white within that set of 8.

For those who are interested, here is the conversion chart for a standard T568B connection.

upload_2017-1-29_13-38-23.png

Hope some find this helpful.

MJB

Last edited:

erkme73

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
That's a great addition. I guess I've been luck that both have had the same pinout for me so far. I do wonder about the red and black arrangment - since both of the type1 cameras I've done so far actually had red and black in the pigtail. Though, those went off to the barrel plug for a 12V wall wart.

Are you saying that in the type2 configuration there are actually two reds and blacks, or are they using a different color pair for the barrel plug?

mjb

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Sorry -- I've never opened up the barrel plug so I don't know what color wires are in there in either configuration.