Hikvision G1 platform (H.265 DS-2CD2XX5) - firmware upgrade failed

dawid_SE

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello guys,

In total I have 4 cameras installed around my house:
- 1x DS-2CD2525FWD-IS
- 3x DS-2CD2655FWD-IZS

All 4 of them came with different firmware installed, so I tried to upgrade them to the latest firmware which is V5.6.2_Build190701. I succeed with 1 (out of 1) DS-2CD2525FWD-IS and 2 (out of 3) DS-2CD2655FWD-IZS - the upgrade was performed with help of Hikvision batch configuration tool, directly to the latest firmware and all upgrades went perfect for these 3 cameras. Unfortunately I am struggling with upgrading the last DS-2CD2655FWD-IZS camera.

Please see attached a screenshot from the Hikvision batch configuration tool. As you can see, all cameras come from WR distribution. I am using this website to download firmware.

The last camera which I am not able to upgrade originally came with V5.5.4_Build171206 firmware installed. At the begging I tried to upgrade it to the latest firmware, but I failed, so decided to upgrade it in small steps - I managed to upgrade it to V5.5.51_Build180314 and then to V5.5.51_Build180326. So two upgrades succeed, but now I am stuck with it and not able to upgrade further.

I tried to upgrade it via batch configuration tool, via web interface, ass well as via iVMS-4200. I also restored default setting of the camera, turned off firewall, AV etc. Tried via WiFi and wired connection by connecting my PC directly to the PoE switch and tried second PC too. Also tried all newer firmware available - so far nothing works.

I noticed two points which might give you a hint:
- 2 out of 3 DS-2CD2655FWD-IZS cameras which succeed to upgrade have an additional string "C" in their serial numbers, which the not upgraded camera doesn't have (see attached)
- while trying to upgrade the camera, I noticed that batch configuration tool creates a log file: C:\SdkLog_1_W which says the following:

[2019-08-31 14:32:24.463][ERR] CHttpClientSession::DoH2Exchange, m_bCanTestH2 == FALSE

I have no idea what that means and I have no idea what I am doing wrong. Before trying to upgrade it with TFTP tool, I prefer to ask more experienced people like you what the hell is going on here.

So, do you have any ideas what's wrong here?

Cheers,
Dawid

Attachments

Last edited:

StewartM

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Just to clarify, after you loaded V5.5.51_Build180326, did you try load v5.6.2 or did you try an intermediate firmware like v5.5.82 first?
I can't clearly view your attachment for some reason.

Tolting Colt Acres

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
You should try to do incremental upgrades, rather than upgrading from one major older version to a newer one.

dawid_SE

n3wb
Reaction score
Just to clarify, after you loaded V5.5.51_Build180326, did you try load v5.6.2 or did you try an intermediate firmware like v5.5.82 first?
I can't clearly view your attachment for some reason.
Yes, after loading V5.5.51_Build180326 I did try to load the V5.6.2_Build190701. You know the result of that trial :)
The screenshot attached again. You can also find it under the link given below:
BC.png

Attachments

Last edited:

dawid_SE

n3wb
Reaction score
You should try to do incremental upgrades, rather than upgrading from one major older version to a newer one.
For the cameras which I managed to upgrade (3 out of 4), going straight from major older to the newest one went perfect. Only one of them doesn't want to upgrade even if I do small increments.

dawid_SE

n3wb
Reaction score
Perhaps I would need to clarify one more point: the camera which doesn't want to upgrade, works just fine at the moment. Nevertheless one of the main reasons why I would need to perform the upgrade is lack of HLC in current firmware, which I would need to use.

rearanger

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
You could try TTL.

What error does the web gui give? You could also try downgrade to 5.5.? then upgrade to 5.6.2

All that fails you could give montecrypto's mini sys a bash.

dawid_SE

n3wb
Reaction score
You could try TTL.
If I read correctly (I don't know much of this things) TTL procedure seems to be quite complicated, which requires some additional hardware, camera disassembly, etc. Perhaps I should try TFTP first rather than TTL, especially that the camera still works and it has valid warranty too.

What error does the web gui give? You could also try downgrade to 5.5.? then upgrade to 5.6.2
The web interface says "Upgrading failed". That same for batch tool.
Following your suggestion, I managed to downgrade to V5.5.0. From there I tried to upgrade to any other newer firmware than V5.5.51 (which was the newest one I was able to upgrade, as described in my original post). Unfortunately I was getting that same error, so at the end of the day I come back to the previous set-up and upgraded from V5.5.0 to V5.5.51.

I think there must be some compatibility check-up problem. Perhaps there is something new what is being check in firmware newer than V5.5.51. I wrote an email to Hikvision support, literally copying my original post from this forum and sending it to them. They answered after less than 24 hours, suggesting to use web interface :facepalm: Apparently they don't read emails through.

All that fails you could give montecrypto's mini sys a bash.
Tried to find some more details about that, but I failed. Could you provide some link?