Hikvision H.265 line-up ?

Matta

n3wb
Reaction score
Greetings !

I'm in the hunt for NVR and 5-6 cameras (2-4MP, mostly outdoor bullet) and I was wondering, at this moment, is it viable to take a dive into new H.265 line-up of Hikvision ?
What are the pros and cons of such move ? Anyone had any experience with h.265 cameras so far ?

Thank you in advance !

mlapaglia

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Getting the new cameras with larger sensors will definitely be worth your time, especially if low-light performance is important to you.

andyblac

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have a few that support h265, but it is a none standard format hikvision is using i.e. recordings etc will not play back on PC / Mac in VLC, plays fine on NVR / WebIF. but not much point if you need to give footage to police etc

Mhakala

n3wb
Reaction score
I have 7 of the Hikvision DS-2CD-2335 3mp and 1 of the DS-2CD2345 4mp cameras. In the setup within the camera both have options under Camera to turn on the H.265, but when you go to the Dahua NVR the option is not there and it does not recognize these as being H.265 cameras and when toggled inside the camera softwear the NVR's only show the black screen and receive no video on any of the 4 Dahua NVR's. I recently purchase a Hikvision DS-7616NI/E2 to see if they would do H.265 but found the NVR I believe only supports H.265 for "Initial Startup" not quite sure why it would have a button in the setup for that? If I was to buy a later Hikvision 4K NVR would these cameras be able to use the h.265 finctions inside the cameras?

cutterman

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I played around with h.265 recording with my former NVR (Hik 7716). It is more CPU intensive to record and playback. Playback, especially of multiple streams, was glitchy and had ghosting artifacts. As noted above it is somewhat of an orphan codec as well. I didn't think it was worth it. Just throw another HD in there and you will be happier.

PS the setting is in recording options where you set max bit rates

Parley

Known around here
Reaction score
I have the same problem with my Hikvision cameras. The DS-7608NI-I2/8P NVR though rated for the H.265 does not play nice with the cameras when I set them to H.265. They lock up by showing the last frame. I have to revert back to H.264. I have looked through the manual but cannot see anything as to where there may be a problem.

limeni

n3wb
Reaction score
I have the same problem with my Hikvision cameras. The DS-7608NI-I2/8P NVR though rated for the H.265 does not play nice with the cameras when I set them to H.265. They lock up by showing the last frame. I have to revert back to H.264. I have looked through the manual but cannot see anything as to where there may be a problem.
has anyone figured this out seem to be having the same problem when i set it to h265 its just a black screen