Hikvision handy settings.

ComfySofa

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Just joined the forum....ive got a couple bolted to my house....are there any suggested tweaks that should be done from a stock setup? (video adjustements) noise reduction etc etc....network connectivity so on and so forth...?

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

ComfySofa

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Cheers - i must confess i forward ports in but the camera is secured with a username and a strong password. I use a password manager for everything i do...if you dont forward ports how are you supposed to get access....also it mentions using a vpn....which ive got no problem with but if you do you get a random ip....even if you use a ddns service it can only keep up so much as it has to refresh with a connection and disconnection of the vpn. Happily waiting to be educated ! :)

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Usernames and passwords count for nothing when there are firmware vulnerabilities.

Your public IP address will not change frequently, an inbound VPN will have no problem.
You are thinking of an outbound VPN used to obscure your location.
Not the same thing.

ComfySofa

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Ok- ive got a good quality router which i can run a vpn on...the problem is, is, whenever i do - the whole bandwith takes a massive hit and, stuff like netflix stops working (my kids live in there!)

ComfySofa

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Usernames and passwords count for nothing when there are firmware vulnerabilities.

Your public IP address will not change frequently, an inbound VPN will have no problem.
You are thinking of an outbound VPN used to obscure your location.
Not the same thing.
Not sure what you mean....how would i use an inbound vpn?

ComfySofa

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Carried on reading....yeah - i did try the vpn server some time ago but could never get it running...well, got it running, could never make a successful connection (Ive got an asus router) - one of those things i kinda never really got back to as i use the port forwarding solution. So assuming i do get it running ive got other stuff on the outside world that i use like plex for example....will everything else play nice?

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Carried on reading....yeah - i did try the vpn server some time ago but could never get it running...well, got it running, could never make a successful connection (Ive got an asus router) - one of those things i kinda never really got back to as i use the port forwarding solution. So assuming i do get it running ive got other stuff on the outside world that i use like plex for example....will everything else play nice?
Setup properly, it will have no affect on anything else.
Make sure you have the latest router firmware before attempting again.
Using port forwarding is asking to be hacked. Don't do it.
Randy : OpenVPN on a Asus router
VPN Primer for Noobs | IP Cam Talk

ComfySofa

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Got it working....its a while since ive last tried....my lodger has a bunch of machines that port forward also...i can just give her a copy of the vpn config, but her sister does stream stuff from her Synology but im not sure what to so some stuff may have to stay open...

Just to add (as i had a chance to mess around with the config...) - i think the Asus router doesnt like quite a lot of special characters but will, let the config/profile be added...i had to use a reasonably simple password...

Thanks very much for the advice....ive removed a bunch of stuff from the port forwarding list...

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Got it working....its a while since ive last tried....my lodger has a bunch of machines that port forward also...i can just give her a copy of the vpn config, but her sister does stream stuff from her Synology but im not sure what to so some stuff may have to stay open...

Just to add (as i had a chance to mess around with the config...) - i think the Asus router doesnt like quite a lot of special characters but will, let the config/profile be added...i had to use a reasonably simple password...

Thanks very much for the advice....ive removed a bunch of stuff from the port forwarding list...
Create a profile for each person in the router vpn setup, that way if something happens, you only need to delete that person from the router.
Openvpn can be used for the synology. Just connect to the vpn, and use the local IP address of the synology just like she was at home on the local network.
Seriously, do....not....port....forward....anything.

ComfySofa

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Sorry - what i meant was if i removed all the ports, then if her sister for example is using a tv to stream to thats gonna need a vpn client for her to connect to my network...