Hikvision iVMS-4200 client will not record

CorporalCuddler

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I've been trying to figure out how to record using the iVMS-4200 version 2.20. The cameras show an alarm when there is motion, but nothing records. I can not figure out how to get it to record. I'm running the iVMS-4200 on a computer. I want it to record to the hard drive on the same computer. This seems so simple I feel like an idiot having to ask, but I cannot figure it out. What's the secret to this thing???

steve6690

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
It won't work like you want. I spent hours and hours trying it with version 2.00.8.50.
1. You have to install Storage Server and then add it to the network using ivms
2. You can't record to a local drive that contains an operating system.

I managed to get it working on my laptop eventually by installing Storage Server and using a usb2 external drive.

CorporalCuddler

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thank you @steve6690. That would explain the issues I was having.

I had given up and am currently using the demo version ofBlue Iris. Blue Iris records whereveryou want, and was actually intuitive to set up. You can also view live streams and recorded videos on your phone (thoughtthat app is an extra 10 dollars). Do youknow if you can view recorded files and live streams from the iVMS-4200 clienton a mobile device?

Last edited by a moderator:

swfbtucs

n3wb
Reaction score
It won't work like you want. I spent hours and hours trying it with version 2.00.8.50.
1. You have to install Storage Server and then add it to the network using ivms
2. You can't record to a local drive that contains an operating system.

I managed to get it working on my laptop eventually by installing Storage Server and using a usb2 external drive.
Steve,

How did you accomplish this? I have Storage Server installed with iVMS-4200 v2.4 and a handy external usb hard drive, but I can't figure out how to get it added as a storage server device.

Tips?

Frank

steve6690

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I added the storage server in ivms then went into its configuration via ivms. Once in, added and formatted the drive and it just worked.

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

PJ Will

n3wb
Reaction score
I got ivms 4200 to show my pcnvr on my PC hard drive. However, it looks like it is using the entire drive when I formatted it within the Storage server. I went from having 600 gb of free space to having only 1.75 gb's free left. Did I do something wrong?

I thought it only stores recordings when motion is alerted? Why is it showing that 95% of my hard drive is already full? I see like 200 videos with all the same date and time stamp added.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I got ivms 4200 to show my pcnvr on my PC hard drive. However, it looks like it is using the entire drive when I formatted it within the Storage server. I went from having 600 gb of free space to having only 1.75 gb's free left. Did I do something wrong?

I thought it only stores recordings when motion is alerted? Why is it showing that 95% of my hard drive is already full? I see like 200 videos with all the same date and time stamp added.
Is this the same issue that prompted you to start a new thread 2 minutes later?
IVMS 4200 not recording to my PC Hard drive.