HikVision iVMS-4200 Server and Client Recording

johngalt

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Just installed my first HikVision yesterday and have been playing with iVMS-4200. Just when I think I understand all the settings it seems to fail me.

I have the client and server installed on PC. The server is formatted to a dedicated hard drive. It appeared to be recording fine without the client running yesterday (Event - motion, traverse, and intrusion). Last night it pushed a couple traverse notifications to my iPhone through iVMS-4500. I only used traverse to Notify Surveillance Center because motion is too finicky with car headlights at night.

I go to start the client today to check my recordings for all events and I have no recordings. My phone immediately pushed a few more traverse event notifications.

I guess the client/server/cam relationship is a little unclear to me. Am I missing some direct setting or trigger between the cam and storage server? It appeared to be working fine without the client running yesterday. I have absolutely nothing logged or recorded from 16th (today). Everything is accounted for yesterday.

I've been searching the internet for a little while now. I'm nervous about leaving town next week because we've had some break in's (including my car in driveway). Would really like to depend on this while I am gone. Thanks.

johngalt

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
It appears that "Notify Surveillance Center" must be checked under motion detection to trigger the storage server. It doesn't look like the Traverse or Intrusion detection can trigger the storage server to record at all.

I can't record anything without it sending a push notification to the app each time. I have circumvented this by having the camera itself send emails (which forward through my SMS gateway with gmail filters) for traverse and intrusion events. This minimizes phone alerts to more critical events. I want to be generous in my recording but strict what alerts my phone.

I'm actually pretty impressed with this for free software. The storage server running in the background uses barely any CPU power or RAM. It's the client and playback that is a CPU hog. I'm pretty confident now with the storage server running in the background I won't miss a recording. Just wish I could record without sending push notifications to the iVMS-4500 iPhone app.

Anyone else comfortable with this software? This HikVision stuff is impressive for the price.

JLH3553

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi johngalt,
In the past days I've been through the same difficulties in making recording on the iVMS-4200 Storage Server, and finally made it working and also come to the same conclusion ofr the intrusion detection for which I can't trigger any recording , unless I'm wrong I understand that you found a circumvention for that, what did you do exactly to to produce a recording for Traverse or Intrusion detection.
Thank you for your help

Last edited by a moderator:

JLH3553

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello, I'm looking for your help and advices :smile:

I've been searching and still unable to trigger recording on the Storage server for any "Intrusion" or "Traverse plane" alerts although I receive an email for everyone of these alerts.
However I can trigger recording for all the "Moving detection" alerts , but as mentioned by evrybody we get too many many false alerts 'Due to rain, change from cloudy sky to sunny sky etc..), this is why I want rather use the Intrusion and / or Traverse plane detection which is working just fine for me (except of course the recording)

My configuration is the following:
- IP Camera DS-2CD3132-I with FW V5.2.0 build 140721
- iVMS-4200 V5.2.0
- Storage Server DS-NVR-V120xxxxxxx (The one coming in the package with the iVMS-4200 V5.2.0)

I've tried different settings, different recording schedule scenari, etc.. without any success

Has anyone being able to record on the Storage Server for "Intrusion" and / or "Traverse Plane" alerts ?

code2

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
On the outer running the server you want to open the ivms

then record schedule

Then put a check in the storage server

And change it to event template

Now in even management For each camera

Mine picks up motion like nothing

Forget your phone have the cameras and server work for you and such the messages. use the phone to view

JLH3553

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks code2 for your answer, if I read it correctly you are only talking about "motion detection" which is also working fine for me, I 'm looking for the solution / settings to trigger recording on "Intrusion" and / or "Traverse plane" alerts
Thank you for your interest

code2

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks code2 for your answer, if I read it correctly you are only talking about "motion detection" which is also working fine for me, I 'm looking for the solution / settings to trigger recording on "Intrusion" and / or "Traverse plane" alerts
Thank you for your interest

Those others should be set up the same way for the most part.

In the client of each camera you make sure you have the trigger channel and notify surveillance center checked.

I really don't get why they have the intrusion etc etc. really not needed when you have motion.

JLH3553

n3wb
Reaction score
Those others should be set up the same way for the most part.
This is what I do, but this is not working :-(, I do not get any recording, do you get automatic recordings on the Storage Server for "Intrusion" and "Traverse plane" ?

johngalt

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I like the traverse line because I can separate random motion from someone crossing within 5ft of my house. I can get the camera by itself to trigger an email which goes to my SMS gateway (sends me a text). This works great, rare false alarms, so my phone isn't blowing up all day.

I think the problem is the "trigger channel record" in the second column, that triggers the server to record, doesn't tag what the type of event when it records to the server. It seems to be recording all of them but it may also be because it is recording on motion. When the client searches the server for events, there is no way for it to distinguish a traverse recording from a motion recording. I think the client can only distinguish different event types if the client is doing the image processing/computing and recording.

I think the cameras built in analytics just trigger the server to record without telling it why it is recording.

That's my theory, but I have not had time to experiment with it lately. Kuddos to someone who wants to spend the time to change the variables one at a time. A gap in product literature for sure.

JLH3553

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi johngalt, thanks for your answer, I was about to think that your theory was right, however I just did the following test:
- I monitored through "Task manager" the Bytes written counter for the "NvrStorageServer.exe" task on the PC hosting the Storage Server
- I've observed the counter for few minutes and just saw a few bytes increase
- Then I 've first created a "Motion detection" alert and I've noticed an immediate increase of roughly 10 Millions bytes I did the test 2 more times and saw again the counter increasing by roughly 10M, each time I received the alert email
- Then I suppressed the "Motion Detection" and activated the "Traverse Plane" only
- Did the test several times, each time I got the email, but I've never seen any change with the counter
- Conclusion the "Traverse Plane" has never triggered any recording on the Storage Server

Is it a bug or a product limitation ? , I would find very strange to limit recording to "Motion detection" only, I continue my tests and investigation.