Hikvision LAN browser viewing requirements

iamtarded

n3wb
Reaction score
I need to setup two additional views of the Hikvision NVR on two floors of the house. Don't want to run long HDMI cables or wireless HDMI etc. I am thinking I buy a think client which is available for as low as 35-50 bucks and just stick it behind the LED monitor and put it on the wall. Is there any minimum hardware requirement to run NVR viewing on browser on the local network? Viewing the Hikvision via browser is bogging down my Windows 11 12600K + 32 GB ram system. It was okay on Windows 10 so there is some sort of a hiccup that I am not able to solve despite using different browsers.

trempa92

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
It all depends on resolution and codec. You will need higher performance as compression is bigger. Lets say it takes more CPU power to decode h265 than h264.

I dont really believe there is a cheap solution that will work great.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You could try putting an Amazon Firestick (Android) for $25 into the TV's HDMI port and install the $4 app Tinycam Pro for Android onto it.

You could then stream all cams from the NVR: in tinyCam put in NVR's LAN IP for all cams but change the channel number for each cam to 1, 2, 3....etc..

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

trempa92

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
You could try putting an Amazon Firestick (Android) for $25 into the TV's HDMI port and install the $4 app Tinycam Pro for Android onto it.

You could then stream all cams from the NVR: in tinyCam put in NVR's LAN IP for all cams but change the channel number for each cam to 1, 2, 3....etc..
Does that really have power to do decoding process? Sounds a bit too cheap :/

iamtarded

n3wb
Reaction score

I had an old Dell 7010 SFF around with G620 processor (3rd gen), did not work smoothly at all with Hikvision's web interface. I really hate the fact that I have to go around find these work arounds. It won't even play smoothly on my 10th gen system ever since I upgraded it to Windows 11. Anyhow, after doing a lot of research, I ended up using RTSP feeds from cameras required and hit it up using MPV (Player) with the following commands. Works on all Windows systems as well but I am thinking of installing bare minimum Linux on the 7010 SFF system for this. Will get a Tiny PC later on to handle, perhaps Raspberry Pi.

Code:
mpv --video-aspect-override=16:9 --fullscreen=yes rtsp:/user:pass@0.0.0.0:554/Streaming/channels/102 --external-file=rtsp:/user:pass@0.0.0.0:554/Streaming/channels/102 --external-file=rtsp:/user:pass@0.0.0.0:554/Streaming/channels/102 --external-file=rtsp:/user:pass@0.0.0.0:554/Streaming/channels/102 --lavfi-complex="[vid1][vid2]hstack[t1];[vid3][vid4]hstack[t2];[t1][t2]vstack[vo]"
I hope this helps someone. I wish I knew of this earlier. There's no need to go to Live View of the NVR when RTSP/subfeeds from Cameras work without a hiccup so well. Just replace user/pass with yours and put the cam IPs above and you get 4 cam view in single MPV window.

P.S. For whatever reason, if I pull up the RTSP feed from NVR for any camera, it isn't working. I get a blank gray screen or a video with a lot of artifacts, basically not usable so I went ahead with pulling RTSP from each camera instead.

iamtarded

n3wb
Reaction score
I figured out why the NVR's channels were not viewable via RTSP and that was due to Hikvision connect platform connection as that requires encryption key. I also noticed a whole minute's worth lag which I reduced by giving an extra command --profile=low-latency in the command line above but there still was a lag of 5-10 seconds between actual NVR/Camera footage and the RTSP. I simply went ahead and added a second cheaper NVR to the system, costed me 50 bucks. It is energy efficient, at least better than the PC would have been - problem solved... for now.