Hikvision LPR camera - driver upgrade DOWNGRADED camera's FPS speed from 60 to 30

wtwhite

n3wb
Reaction score
I own Hikvision's "deep in view" license plate reading capable camera (DS-2CDD7A26G0/P-IZHS8). This is a 2mp camera with 60fps speed. After upgrading to their latest US region driver (5.6.11_200901) the options in Video now only show up to 30fps. I tried to downgrade the posted previous driver but it will not take. So I went to the Europe and UK Hikvision sites and found the equivalent drivers. The UK driver installed and restored the 60fps setting but of course Europe and UK drivers do not support US license plates. It reads the numbers but gets confused about country origin.

I purchased this from an authorized online dealer but so far have not been able to help resolve this issue. A main selling point of this particular line is LPR and high frame rates so removing 60fps may be a bug or oversight from Hikvision. Looking for ideas.

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
Your only option is to contact the dealer/person who sold it to you. If they won't help you then it will be tough sledding since Hik probably won't offer much support either (if any!).

Any particular reason you need/want 60fps for a LPR camera? I have mine set for 20fps and that is still more than enough frames. You will find most of us running dedicated LPR cameras run 15-25 fps.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yep, you learned a hard lesson we mention around here...a common theme around here is don't fix what ain't broke. If the camera is working and meets your needs, in many instances an update breaks what you had working and provides you with something you didn't need. A Z12E that someone updated and then constantly reboots comes to mind, and a certain PTZ that loses autotracking with an update come to mind, and now a Hikvision ANPR camera losing half the FPS and ability to read US plates - those are big deals to have happen. Don't do it unless it is fixing a problem you are experiencing or adds a feature you really need.

It seems like HIK is leading the way with not allowing downgrades unfortunately, and we may see other manufacturers follow suit.

+1 on above, 60FPS really isn't needed for plate reading. Movies on the big screen are shot at 24FPS... My LPR is doing 10FPS just fine.

MYKMACSJ

n3wb
Reaction score
I own Hikvision's "deep in view" license plate reading capable camera (DS-2CDD7A26G0/P-IZHS8). This is a 2mp camera with 60fps speed. After upgrading to their latest US region driver (5.6.11_200901) the options in Video now only show up to 30fps. I tried to downgrade the posted previous driver but it will not take. So I went to the Europe and UK Hikvision sites and found the equivalent drivers. The UK driver installed and restored the 60fps setting but of course Europe and UK drivers do not support US license plates. It reads the numbers but gets confused about country origin.

I purchased this from an authorized online dealer but so far have not been able to help resolve this issue. A main selling point of this particular line is LPR and high frame rates so removing 60fps may be a bug or oversight from Hikvision. Looking for ideas.
Check Video/Audio Tab, Video Encoding make sure it's on H.264
H.264+ select Off
Then under Image go to Backlight Settings turn off WDR ( I hate that I have it off but if you want 60 FPS turn it off)

wtwhite

n3wb
Reaction score
Your only option is to contact the dealer/person who sold it to you. If they won't help you then it will be tough sledding since Hik probably won't offer much support either (if any!).

Any particular reason you need/want 60fps for a LPR camera? I have mine set for 20fps and that is still more than enough frames. You will find most of us running dedicated LPR cameras run 15-25 fps.
The camera was acting up with some duplicates so I upgraded to the newer firmware. I have contacted the Hikvision dealer and they found a Hik bulletin confirming the deliberate downgrade to fix issues. It is reading plates at 30fps but for regular footage review 60fps was super clear, 30 obviously less so.

wtwhite

n3wb
Reaction score
Check Video/Audio Tab, Video Encoding make sure it's on H.264
H.264+ select Off
Then under Image go to Backlight Settings turn off WDR ( I hate that I have it off but if you want 60 FPS turn it off)
the dealer confirmed Hikvision changed the driver to max 30fps. It works but 60fps was very clear for reviewing footage.

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
What shutter speeds are you using? Most of us use 15fps for LPR cams and the footage is crystal clear.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Shutter speed is more important than FPS. 1/2,000 shutter speed at 8 FPS will get better plate captures than 1/100 shutter at 60 FPS