Hikvision - Multiple NVRs

bigbigblue

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi,
I have a Hikvision NVR, currently recording 5 cameras. I was wondering whether I could have a second Hikvision NVR recording the same cameras simultaneously - with the second NVR effectively being a backup of the first?

Does anyone have an experience with such a setup?
Many thanks

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
It will depend on how the cameras are connected, for example on the LAN or on NVR PoE ports. And maybe also the specific model of NVR.
For example, I have a 7816N-E2-8P NVR with cameras on the NVR PoE ports.
I also have a 7816N-E2 and QNAP Surveillance Station which are also connected to the PoE connected cameras with their native protocol, so the cameras are providing 3 feeds.
Hikvision NVRs also usually provide RTSP streams of connected cameras which can be pulled for recording-only purposes.

bigbigblue

n3wb
Reaction score
Alastair, thanks for the reply - the current NVR is a DS7732NI-I4/16P with all cameras connected via LAN (not via the NVRs PoE ports). I was thinking of a DS7608NI-E2 as the second NVR.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
OK, if the cameras are on the LAN then whether you can pull another stream off them depends on the specific camera.
It's very likely you can - I have not seen one yet that has a problem doing that, though I do recall a post or 2 where a camera has been limited to a single stream.
And in any case, your NVR will be able to provide encoded RTSP streams.

bigbigblue

n3wb
Reaction score
I had forgotten about this thread, however I can confirm that using a mixture of Hikvision and other make ONVIF compatible cameras, you CAN have 2 recorders simultaneously recording the primary stream of LAN connected cameras.