Hikvision NVR and camera IP address questions

bfordz

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
We (our company) had our Hikvision camera system installed and the installers used our network IP addresses for the cameras. They set them up using static IP's from our trusted network IP range.

Our NVR - m/n DS-9632NI-ST has two LAN ports, LAN 1 being used by the cameras, I assume, and LAN 2 used by our network for our users access.
We have 30 cameras between 3 different buildings connected via fiber to a Hikvision POE switch in each building.
POE Sw#1 connects to the NVR LAN 1; NVR LAN 2 connects to our "trusted network" for users to view the cameras.
Sw# 1 connects to Sw# 2 and Sw# 2 connects to Sw# 3.

My question is:
With LAN 2 having a static IP from our network that we connect to via the iVMS-4200 client software;
Does LAN 1 need a "trusted" LAN IP address along with all the cameras?
Can I change LAN 1 to DHCP and will it give the cameras an IP address that doesn't "need" to be a "trusted" network IP?
(assuming I'd have to delete the static IP from the cameras first)

* I'm trying to free up some IP addresses for other uses.

I hope that makes sense.

Brad

Bink

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Does LAN 1 need a "trusted" LAN IP address along with all the cameras?
Probably not.
Can I change LAN 1 to DHCP and will it give the cameras an IP address that doesn't "need" to be a "trusted" network IP?
If you do this, you will probably break the cameras’ ability to record to the NVR.

The best way to handle this is to use VLANs and put the cameras and “LAN 1” on a different VLAN. While my recommendation might be confusing for the uninitiated, outside of this you could simply put all the cameras and LAN 1 on a different IP subnet. This would make the used IPs available, but the cameras really wouldn’t be isolated, though they are not now either. Your best bet might be to get a data networking consultant to give you a little assistance.

SamM

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Hey Brad

Firstly, I would create a VLAN for the camera system, just for added security as anyone on your network will have access to the devices.

I am not sure why you would need both the LANs as you could "virtually combine" both, setting are in the Network section of the NVR.
Although it is not mandatory, It is advisable to assign fixed IP to all devices as they are typically host devices (for config purposes).

LAN1 and LAN 2 ports are typically for connecting the NVR to 2 different physical networks

Hope this helps

bfordz

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Currently, LAN 1 doesn't talk to LAN 2, they are segregated through the NVR.

LAN1 and LAN 2 ports are typically for connecting the NVR to 2 different physical networks
LAN 1 is the camera network, using their own Hikvision switches.
LAN 2 is the trusted LAN network, using separate Cisco switches.0

We "do" want everyone (most everyone) to have access to the cameras; those that need it have iVMS installed on their Pc's. We are a Car Dealership and salespeople and mgrs need access to the lot cameras.

Our trusted network on LAN 2 can't directly see any of the cameras directly or individually without the iVMS software or a browser. The only way to get to the cameras is through LAN 2.

So, if I re-IP the cameras/LAN 1 I should go static on all the cameras?
I guess if I have to delete the 'current static IP' I might just as well just change the IP to another static subnet IP

Thanks,
brad