Hikvision Nvr "Behind" Second Router

Tony Simmons

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I'm trying to set up a Hikvision DS-7608NI-E2/8P NVR for remote viewing.

The NVR is connected to a router which is located about 500 feet from my office location. It is connected to another router at my office through a wireless bridge. These are the only two routers in the network, router #1 at the office, and router #2 at the remote location where I've connected the NVR.

Has anyone ever done this type of setup using two routers? If so, how did you set up the second router? I'm seeing some online articles that suggest using the second router in AP mode, but If I understand correctly, I'll lose the ability to forward ports in that setup. Whats the best way to set the second router up?

Any input is appreciated.

Valiant

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
The word router is badly used a lot of the time. Routers separate 2 different networks (subnets), Eg. The internet from your local LAN with each having a different IP address range. I assume in your setup the internet connects to Router 1.

Your second router is probably not routing. Are you sure it's not acting as a Wireless Access Point/switch/Station ?. You mentioned the word bridge, that implies the device is passing traffic at the local MAC address (layer 2) level. This is no different to a direct ethernet cable. If your IP addresses are similar on your NVR LAN to those on Router 1 LAN then its likely you have a wireless bridge set up. Having 2 routers in line is probably not a good idea because it will be doing double NAT and just adding complexity. If your networking skills are not good then you will be struggling here. Take a look at the wireless connectivity and how its set up. Ubiquiti gear is nice and can do transparent bridge links (Layer 2) or can separate the networks where each side of the link has different addresses (Layer 3).

Best you post up a network diagram of your set up for more info.

Tony Simmons

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
The setup is as follows:

DSL----Modem/Router----Ubiquiti Nanobeam M5 Bridge----Ubiquiti NanobeamM5 Bridge----Router----NVR

The 2nd router is a Netgear R6200 set to "Wireless Access Point". I have nothing else hooked to that router except the NVR, but need wireless available at the remote location.
The wireless bridge is working perfectly and has a great signal.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Make sure you use a long random WPA2 key on the bridges.

Setting the second 'router' to access point mode doesn't affect your ability to set the internet facing router to forward ports. However, forwarding ports is a pretty insecure way to provide remote access.

Try this, move the cable that goes from the M5 to the 2nd router to one of the lan ports on the R6200.

Tony Simmons

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Understood. I changed settings on the 2nd router . I discontinued the Wireless Access Point setting.

I applied a static address in the LAN range of the first router. I also turned off the DHCP on the second router.
After discontinuing AP setting on the router, It now gives me the option to forward ports.

Is this a better setup a better setup?

Tony Simmons

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Also, the M5 cable is located on one of the 2nd router Lan ports...

Aengus4h

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
if the uplink cable to the M5 is now on a LAN port on the second router you're effectively running in extended-LAN using the first router to manage DHCP, so the WAN IP for the second router is now immaterial as its not being used. Is the NVR set to the IP range of the active primary router too? If not you won't be able to see it.

Tony Simmons

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Understood. I'm not on location to access the NVR, but will do so later today.

Do I simply assign any available IP address in the first routers range to the NVR? Or do I need to use the 2nd routers DHCP feature to assign one?

Aengus4h

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
if you're connecting the bridge to the LAN port then an IP in the first routers range should do it. Any other devices on that router would also need the same. Not sure how your WiFi devices will fair so worth testing since you changed the second router from AP mode.

Tony Simmons

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Got it. Will give it a try. I'm assuming that some sort of port forwarding will need to be done in the second router?

Aengus4h

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
nope, if your linked into the LAN side it's now just a switch and the router side is doing nothing for the LAN traffic, not sure on the WiFi side as I'm not familiar with that specific model but likely the same result, traffic hits the LAN and goes across the bridge.

Tony Simmons

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Wow, that would be great... but this does raise one other question in my mind about the setup.

I have an NVR on the first router. This NVR is "seen" remotely by Hikvision ivms-4500 using the first routers WAN (not LAN) address and 8000 port.
If I apply a LAN address to the second NVR, what address will be used to set up the remote viewing? (Since the WAN address is already in use)

Aengus4h

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
you'd have to set up a different port on the router and redirect it to the other NVR and you'll have access to both. Better to use vpn to connect to the LAN and access via their internal IP than to open ports to the web tho, from a security point of view. I have a Hik NVR and a swann DVR and that works just fine. No need to have 2 profiles for each on ivms then either (one internal and one external) as once vpn connected your device is effectively on the internal network as far as the app is concerned.

Tony Simmons

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Would love to use the VPN setup. I have an older router through the ISP. Here is a screen shot of the VPN page. Its looks fairly limited.

VPN.png

Attachments

Aengus4h

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
ah ok, can't help you on that at all, I use Draytek one here and that has lots of features but its a small business router so you'd expect it to. Guess you can't easily upgrade your external router? Guessing you're USA so maybe not...

Tony Simmons

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Yes, in the US. I'll look into expanding to a better VPN setup...

Meanwhile, I can continue forward with a setup through the ports.
Just to be sure I understand, are we forwarding to the second router IP address, or to the NVR address?

Tony Simmons

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Having a problem with the port forwarding to the second NVR and need some direction please...

Have applied Port forwarding rules in the first router to open ports 81, 8001 and 10554 for the 2nd NVR. (Ports for 1st NVR are 80, 8000 and 554)

Of the three, Port 81 is now open, but for some reason 8000 and 10554 refuse to open???

Tony Simmons

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
IMG_20180404_195647569.jpg This appears to be my problem, but I'm not sure how to correct it...

Here is a screenshot showing the 2nd Hikvision NVR network configuration, now showing a message for the two ports that won't open.
Message shows "Inactive (the external port has been used)"

Should the numbers for External port and Port not be the same?