Hikvision Nvr "Behind" Second Router

Valiant

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Firstly Port forwarding isn't the best option, VPN is the preferred solution. Having said that and if you insist, I don't think you should be doing any NAT configuration on the NVR's themselves, the port forwarding should be done on the router. Create 2 rules/services (or multiple rules for the ports required), for each of the NVR's to point to their internal fixed IP addresses. Having different ports configured on the NVR's as you have is good so the router can redirect incoming connections correctly.

Then try something like Open Port Check Tool - Test Port Forwarding on Your Router

The tool will help confirm whether your ports are open.

When connecting with your smart phone you need to provide the correct (different) port numbers for each of the connections (NVR1/NVR2) in it's configuration.

Tony Simmons

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
We have two locations approximately 700' apart, connected by a ubiquiti bridge. Each has it's own NVR.

copex

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
then from the above you don't need two routers use the PTP link to extend the network from the internet router, if the second router is say providing wifi then set the second router to a spare IP on the same address range as the main router turn off dhcp and move the Wan connection to a Lan port. if the second router is not providing wifi replace it with a switch and reconfigure any devices not set to dhcp to the same subnet as the first site. (all on the one network)

possible reason why you are having issue is possibly down to double NAT (google it for more info) if you require a different subnet on the second site you would have to look at vlans or using a second router that allows you to turn off the NAT and configure the correct routing on the first and second router, you could also use layer 3 switchs.

S.

Tony Simmons

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
The second router is providing only Wifi at the second location. As you recommended, a spare ip address is being used at the second router and the Wan connection has been moved to a Lan port on the router.

I'm able to view the NVR remotely now on ivms-4500, but I'm curious why I'm seeing the message in NVR configuration. ("Inactive (the external port has been used)".
Also, if you look at the screenshot, this message only appears for two of the four ports even though each port is set up the same way?

copex

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
it maybe down to the port configuration. (turn of UPnP on all of the hikvision equipment and disable it on the router as well. ) if you are only have one public ip then the ports on each NVR must be different :) you may have already done this :)

for ivms i believe the only port required is 8000, so change the second NVR to 8001 and change the app and the forwarding on the router or use a VPN to view the cameras remotely and remove all forwarding both NVR can have the same port number.

S.

Aengus4h

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi Tony, sorry was offline for a bit. Looking at your comments and others, it sounds like you already have the remote router LAN connected rather than WAN across to the first site? If that is the case then you're effectively running as an extended LAN so only need to set up the port forward on the active (primary) router on the first site, since the remote one is not providing any actual routing, only WiFi access point and switch functions between the bridge and the local networked devices. When you try to create the forward rules on the second router it is maybe detecting them in use from the first router so rejects the config, if that makes sense?

For iVMS external access you'd then only need your external IP and the port specific to the recorder you want to access, so you could then save both NVR's with same IP but the unique port info, so 1.2.3.4:8000 and 1.2.3.4:8001 and switch between as needed.

Hope that helps.

Tony Simmons

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi Aengus4h. Hope all is well on your end today...

I think I've done everything properly. The remote router is connected through a LAN port and shows up in the "menu" of the primary router. I've set up port forwarding through the primary router. When I do make an attempt to port forward through the remote router, I do get an error message, which you predicted.

The odd thing is still the error message within the NVR Configuration page. Everything appears to be functioning properly,
but I'm curious why the strange message that only appears for the two ports 8001 and 10554, while 81 is unaffected even though ports are set up identically. Very odd...

IMG_20180404_195647569.jpg

Aengus4h

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi Tony

you don't need to change the ports used on the second NVR nor port forward on the second router. On the primary router you set the port ID you want to forward to direct the connection back to the relevant NVR IP and port. So you could set your outside port 8000 to direct the external user to NVR1 at IP 1.2.3.4:8000 and your outside port 8001 to point back to NVR2 at 1.2.3.5:8000 for example. Then when you connect from outside to your-WANIP:8000 you hit NVR1 and your-WANIP:8001 you hit NVR2. I used to do this when I first set up the Hik NVR and Swann DVR and standalone PT camera, before I switched to VPN for security. Also migrated the CCTV environment to a separate vLAN that has no internet or other vLAN access other than for NTP so they can't call home etc ;-)

As to why the NVR is reporting that error I'm afraid I don't know

Valiant

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Have you tried using a web based port checking tool and what were the results?