Hikvision nvr + blue iris

Bradyboyy88

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
My buddy has a Hikvision nvr currently and it’s been pretty reliable however he doesn’t like the video exporting and I’ve used blue iris on the past and recommended it. I’m curious though I prefer to keep his hikvision nvr as is but also use a server I setup for him as his blue iris instance. What’s the best route for this? It seems the never sets itself to a completely separate subnet. Should I just set the nvr as a static ip like 192.168.2.1 and put all the cameras on that subnet manually? Then put the blue iris server on that subnet as well? The server has two lan ports so I was going to go from the nvr to the server then from the server to the router. He will have other devices on 192.168.1.1+ subnet which I will want to be able to access ui3 and remote into the windows server when needed to change blue iris settings.
Or should I forgo the redundancy and get rid of the nvr even though he paid good money for it and just use a Poe switch he has and go right into the server?

thanks in advance!

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Do not start messing with what is working in the NVR. Once you start changing IP addresses of the cameras to match the IP of the LAN, you risk problems.

Simply use the NVR as the POE switch and bring the cameras in from the NVR.

In BI, you select add camera and put the IP address of the NVR into the IP address location. Put in username and password and hit find/inspect and let BI do its thing.

Then about halfway down is a pull down for Camera number and pick camera 1 and then hit ok. The camera should show up. Then add camera and the select copy and copy this camera and then change the number 1 to a 2 and repeat for your cameras.

OR depending on your NVR, it may populate all the cameras in the main and substream pulldown boxes and you just select a camera number and then add another camera and select the next pulldown.

Bradyboyy88

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Do not start messing with what is working in the NVR. Once you start changing IP addresses of the cameras to match the IP of the LAN, you risk problems.

Simply use the NVR as the POE switch and bring the cameras in from the NVR.

In BI, you select add camera and put the IP address of the NVR into the IP address location. Put in username and password and hit find/inspect and let BI do its thing.

Then about halfway down is a pull down for Camera number and pick camera 1 and then hit ok. The camera should show up. Then add camera and the select copy and copy this camera and then change the number 1 to a 2 and repeat for your cameras.

OR depending on your NVR, it may populate all the cameras in the main and substream pulldown boxes and you just select a camera number and then add another camera and select the next pulldown.
What if the nvr is not set to a static ip because I don’t think my buddy would have set it to a different subnet which it is as its like 192.168.254.255 , I think he just plugged in and it did some sort of setup on its own. So it may be set to use dhcp which case the ip of the nvr would change id think and screw up blue iris right? Same with the cameras?

Thanks!

Parley

Known around here
Reaction score
My Hikvision NVR's are on my LAN line and they have an IP address of 198.162.1.xxx. I communicate with them using Hikvision IVMS-4200. The cameras that communicate with the NVR have an address of 192.168.254.XX. So, if his NVR's are stand-alone you can download a video to a USB memory drive on the NVR. Hopefully I understood your question.

Bradyboyy88

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
My Hikvision NVR's are on my LAN line and they have an IP address of 198.162.1.xxx. I communicate with them using Hikvision IVMS-4200. The cameras that communicate with the NVR have an address of 192.168.254.XX. So, if his NVR's are stand-alone you can download a video to a USB memory drive on the NVR. Hopefully I understood your question.
maybe I am misremembering it and you are right that the hikvision nvr is in the Sam subnet as the rest of the network and the cameras have some funky ip address setup.
Can the nvr record ip cameras not plugged directly into it? Just curious because say for some crazy reason we do want to phase the nvr out I’m just curious how I will get access to all these cameras and reassign the ip addresses (sadp tool if that’s still used?).
This most likely won’t be the case but one reason to do so was just because it’s always been unclear how secure the nvr is considering its accessible remotely without port forwarding. I know it’s p2p or some protocol but I was not even sure how to lock that all down so he just should vpn in. That’s kind of why I was pushing for blue iris but I did like the idea of still getting to use the nvr in case the server ever failed and he paid good money for it.

This post may have gone off in a different direction but you guys are much more knowledgeable and I could use the expertise before touching his setup. Also I like wittaj approach of using blue iris to configure the nvr within blueiris but what thoughts on locking the nvr down so that its only accessible using vpn into network?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Simply assign the NVR a static IP address and turn off P2P and don't give the NVR a valid gateway IP address.

Bradyboyy88

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Simply assign the NVR a static IP address and turn off P2P and don't give the NVR a valid gateway IP address.
Then just plug the uplink port of the nvr into one port the windows server? Will blue iris still be able to work its magic without the gateways present in the nvr?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yes. Most of us assign fake gateways to the cameras and BI sees it just fine.

Bradyboyy88

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hey so for just testing the network is flat and 192.168.1.x for all devices. Nvr is plugged into a switch we have and all devices as well then switch to gateway. However I cannot get blueiris tk find the nvr. What am I doing wrong?
I can access the nvr via browser at 192.168.1.102 so the static ip is working.

Attachments

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Sometimes BI won't find it or sometimes the NVR uses a weird protocol.

When I brought mine in, camera 1 was camera 3 in the pulldown and then started from there LOL.

So try in the middle left of that image Cam 3, 5, and 10 and see if it shows a camera.

If it doesn't, then go to the brand pulldown and try the different Hikvision and Annke models.

Bradyboyy88

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
hi
Sometimes BI won't find it or sometimes the NVR uses a weird protocol.

When I brought mine in, camera 1 was camera 3 in the pulldown and then started from there LOL.

So try in the middle left of that image Cam 3, 5, and 10 and see if it shows a camera.

If it doesn't, then go to the brand pulldown and try the different Hikvision and Annke models.
So should onvif port be set at 80 or 8000. Also the syntax for the main stream line? It defaults too that when I select that drop down which says 7616 in it which is our nvr (Ds-7616ni-k2/18p).

Attachments

Bradyboyy88

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
okay so onvif wasn’t enabled on the cameras .. oops lol. So it’s now it’s on and find /inspects works. It shows data but no signal for selected camera which I can manually check with vlc as 101. And I see data . Just no signal.

Attachments

Last edited:

Bradyboyy88

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
okay so onvif wasn’t enabled on the cameras .. oops lol. So it’s now it’s on and find /inspects works. It shows data but no signal for selected camera which I can manually check with vlc as 101. And I see data . Just no signal.
I was able to get the cameras found under the nvr. However blue iris for 13 cameras is maxing out cpu usage for an i3 13100t

Bradyboyy88

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I was able to get the cameras found under the nvr by disabling encryption on the nvr. However blue iris for 13 cameras is maxing out cpu usage for an i3 13100t

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Is it able to find the substreams? You have to manually accept the substream with the pulldown on the substream profile in BI. That makes all the difference in the world.

Bradyboyy88

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Is it able to find the substreams? You have to manually accept the substream with the pulldown on the substream profile in BI. That makes all the difference in the world.
Yes but I set to none because I figured I’d rather have th mainstream than substream and figured both set would be double the processing power?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Substreams are your friend and bring down CPU tremendously. It allows the CPU to handle activities that can be handled with the substreams.

Using the mainstreams for everything is why your 13th Gen is maxing out and why someone using substreams can run 50 cams on a 4th Gen at under 30% CPU.

If substreams were bad none of us would use it.