Hikvision NVR DS-7616NI-I2/16P Playback Freezing

Flip27

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello,

I'm having an issue with my NVR when I playback a recorded footage. It looks as if the NVR is lagging. All recorded motion constantly freezes when I playback. It also happens when in Live View mode but not as often.

I'm not sure whats happening? Any recommendations? Thank you in advance. Newbie alert!

Here is my hardware and my settings;

Hardware:
Hikvision NVR DS-7616NI-12/16P
8 x Hikvision IP 8MP H.265+ DS-2CD2185FWD-I POE Cameras
2TB Hard Drive

Camera settings:
See attached jpeg

Attachments

Flip27

n3wb
Reaction score
Oh, and this is by viewing directly on my NVR monitor, not via the internet.

Flip27

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for the quick reply, gpower07!

I went ahead and changed the bitrate to 8192 and looks like it solved the issue. I will let it record for about a day and report back with findings but it does look like this fixed my issue. Thanks again for your help! I really appreciate it!

Flip27

n3wb
Reaction score
Ok, my recorded footage is now flawless! No more issues with picture freezing. Your suggestion did the trick!

Thank you, gpower07! :)

John Williamson

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
If you're recording 24/7 AND you have motion detection enabled in camera go to the storage > advanced section of the NVR and change the default pre record setting from 5 seconds to 0 seconds. Otherwise when the camera detects motion it will try to back up 5 seconds of video from its buffer while still continuing with your normal recoding. At your original settings that's 2048000 Kbps the NVR is dealing with for the event.

I've seen this happen on E & K series recorders. When motion is detected the recorder appears to stall. Playback is normal up to the point of the motion event and then it freezes (clock stops) and restarts 5 seconds later after the event. Effectively you appear to record everything but the event you were trying to capture.

Turning down the bit rate will have appear to have cured it because now the recorder is dealing with 1024000 kbps (25FPS x 5 Secs x 8192kbps). You've halved it's workload.

Flip27

n3wb
Reaction score
So, if I change the default prerecording settings from 5 to 0, should I then go back to the original bit rate setting of 16384? Or should I stay at 8192?
Thanks for the reply!

John Williamson

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
So, if I change the default prerecording settings from 5 to 0, should I then go back to the original bit rate setting of 16384? Or should I stay at 8192?
Thanks for the reply!
16384 is the recommended bit rate for those cameras at full frame so 8192 would be too low. However at H265 8192 is the recommended bit rate so I would change to H265 and leave the bit rate at 8192 if both camera & DVR support it

cdshow

n3wb
Reaction score
If you're recording 24/7 AND you have motion detection enabled in camera go to the storage > advanced section of the NVR and change the default pre record setting from 5 seconds to 0 seconds. Otherwise when the camera detects motion it will try to back up 5 seconds of video from its buffer while still continuing with your normal recoding. At your original settings that's 2048000 Kbps the NVR is dealing with for the event.

I've seen this happen on E & K series recorders. When motion is detected the recorder appears to stall. Playback is normal up to the point of the motion event and then it freezes (clock stops) and restarts 5 seconds later after the event. Effectively you appear to record everything but the event you were trying to capture.

Turning down the bit rate will have appear to have cured it because now the recorder is dealing with 1024000 kbps (25FPS x 5 Secs x 8192kbps). You've halved it's workload.
Isn't the math off on buffer transfer? The math seems to show approx 1gbit of transfer? The buffer/backlog would be 5sec x 8192kbps(basically 8mbps) which seems to indicate a burst of approx 40mbps of data. I wouldn't see the 25FPS factoring in to a calculation if we are already factoring in a transfer rate... I doubt it does that buffer transfer in one second as well. I would think it would be spread out over 2-3 seconds at least, so actual catch up would be 20-30mbps spread out over 2-3 seconds rather than 40mbps(past 5 seconds) + normal 8mbps(current second) =48mbps for 1 second then continue at 8mbps.
My understanding of this could be wrong! I'm not new to NVRs/Cameras/Network transfer but everyone makes mistakes! I stumbled across this thread when looking for recommended settings and initially the gbit transfer mentioned 1024000 kbps= approx 1 gbps caused me to question how I am deploying a new 4k system. I'll reply back to the thread if I'm wrong...