Hikvision NVR Fan too load

Criszaf

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi guys. I’m sure this has come up before. The fan in my nvr id load. Any idea if I can replace it? Any tutorials on how to do such a thing?

Mark_M

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
There is a few threads I've seen.

Main points I see in them:
  • Replace fan with a better quality one (Noctua is a brand is mentioned).
  • Anti vibration measures around the fans.
What I can think of:
  • [Multiple risks] Sound dampening material inside.
  • Sound dampening material in the location of the NVR, like lining cupboard walls with it.
- DO NOT BLOCK VENTILATION

When all else fails:
  • Cut a huge opening for a large fan running at very low speed.
- A large fan at a slower running speed can move more air than a small fan at high speed.

-----------------------
'At your own risk' is to open the power supply, should you be wanting to do anything with the fan. Same risk goes for not accommodating enough air flow.
It is fairly safe to work inside with the main circuit board exposed, that should be a low voltage.
Do anything at your own risk.

Criszaf

n3wb
Reaction score
Seems like hassle. I was hoping more of a plug and play fan lol but of course not.

Mark_M

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Seems like hassle. I was hoping more of a plug and play fan lol but of course not.
Something like a Noctua Fan has an assortment of connectors. I assume you'll be able to unplug the original fan and plug a new one in.
The other methods are more involved.

Criszaf

n3wb
Reaction score
Yes I’ve dealt with changing many desk top fans and PUC in the past so have some experience. Is it just the one size fan? Is there a link perhaps I can buy one?

Mark_M

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Yes I’ve dealt with changing many desk top fans and PUC in the past so have some experience. Is it just the one size fan? Is there a link perhaps I can buy one?
My Dahua one has a 40mm*40mm*10mm fan and the power supply has a 40mm*40mm*20mm server style fan.
Small one is 5v and the power supply one is 12v. 2 wire fans.

You're best to open the NVR up and see the motherboard fan. With the power off [and with caution]; open the unit, also the power supply module to see it's fan.
Take note of the size and voltage [& current].
The replacement fan should be of the same voltage but no higher than the current on the previous fan (There is no easy way to tell the maximum current the fan can draw.)
I have no idea what your Hikvision NVR's fan size is. For all I know; it may not have a fan in the power supply.

Remember to treat the power supply circuit as if it's live; the capacitors inside can deliver a shock even when the unit has been switched off for a while.

davesims

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Are the Dahua’s quieter that the Hikvision NVR’S ?

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
I can't answer that exactly. I can say that the NVRs with a built in POE switch tend to be loud because of the power supply fan. Many Dahua NVRs without built in POE use an external power brick and have no power supply fan at all. They have a chassis fan that's reasonably quiet.

Mark_M

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Any small NVR that uses a passive cooled 'brick' power supply is quieter, obviously because the power supply doesn't have an extra fan.

Agreeing to the above statement, the units with built in POE are loud because of the power supply fan.
I find the noise is not because of the vibrations but instead an echo of the fan noise. Some sound damping material in the location should help with the noise.