Hikvision NVR FW upgrade

ghowse

n3wb
Reaction score
(re-posted from another thread, sorry)

Hi guys,

I have the following Hikvision NVR purchased through a recognised Australian installer in 2019:
  • DS-7608NI-I2 / 8P
  • Firmware V4.1.64 build 190726
  • Encoding V5.0 build 190404
  • Web V4.0.52 build 190725
  • Plugin V3.0.6.43
The NVR was supplied with 5ea DS-2CD2355FWD-I cameras from new, and we just added a sixth camera (also a DS-2CD2355FWD-I).

I wish to upgrade the firmware to V4.60.005 build 230307. Please advise whether I can upgrade in one step, or if it is necessary to upgrade versions in sequence. If so, is there a reference to the sequence and a link to these versions for an Australian version NVR. I can upgrade locally using a USB drive or through a browser over the LAN, whichever is preferred. If there are any other steps to avoid bricking the NVR, I would like to prepare for this.

Thanks very much for any assistance.
Geoff

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
It is best to go incrementally.

You really need to be asking yourself why are you updating? If it is just for grins and giggles or OCD behavior to be running the latest firmware, think twice.

Most here do not update.

A common theme around here is don't fix what ain't broke. If the unit is working and meets your needs, in many instances an update breaks what you had working and provides you with something you didn't need or bricks the camera. In most instances, updates are simply security vulnerability patches (usually years after the breach was found), but since we do not give our cameras internet access, the update is useless to us.

Here is one of many threads of someone updating for OCD behavior simply to get all cams on same firmware and bricked them. Here is one of many threads where someone had their camera go into Chinese when they tried to update it.

Unless the release notes specifically mention it fixing a problem you are experiencing, more than likely it won't fix an issue and may make the device worse by removing functionality or worse brick it.

Don't do it unless it is fixing a problem you are experiencing or adds a feature you really need.

Another thing to consider is that the same model could have different firmware for different chipsets used during the life of that model. So you run the risk of bricking if you do not know what chipset you have.

Here is an example - the HFW3549T1-AS-PV is available in 2 versions of firmware across 3 different chipsets for the same model camera:
  • HFW3549T1-AS-PV-S4 uses the HX3XXX-Taurus firmware.
  • HFW3549T1-AS-PV and IPC-HFW3549T1-AS-PV-S3 use the HX5XXX-Volt firmware
In this instance, Dahua added an S# designation after the model number (while Hikvision adds a C), but many do not and then you try to update with a firmware not compatible with your chipset and potentially brick it.

Further, it is best to obtain any firmware updates from the vendor you purchased it from so that you do not run into issues. Any firmware you find here or elsewhere is obviously proceed at your own risk. We have many threads here where someone tried an update with a firmware they found on the internet and bricked their unit.

ghowse

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for the detailed reply. I have been provided the FW from the Australian supplier but prefer to do the update myself if I can. The reason for updating is that the new (6th) camera does not seem to register itself properly on the NVR. It records manually and displays OK but does not trigger event recording. I am guessing the new camera has a later firmware version than the original 5 cameras.

For now, I have the new camera being triggered by events detected on another camera. This is working fine, but I'm not sure if the new camera will come back up properly if, for example, the NVR has to reboot. It is on a UPS but sooner or later ta reboot will come alng.