Hikvision NVR & Huisun? Email alerts?

klasipca

Banned
Reaction score
I am almost starting to regret switching to using cameras on NVR subnet... Anyway, anyone gotten email notifications to work with Huisun using ONVIF profile while connected to Hikvision NVR subnet? Seems like an easy task, but I can't get it work. Longse camera works on the other hand. When using Huisun with Hikvision profile emails do work, but then another issue with the secondary stream makes it unusable. So take pick your poison, either no emails or no secondary stream.

Last edited by a moderator:

TechBill

Known around here
Reaction score
I am almost starting to regret switching to using cameras on NVR subnet... Anyway, anyone gotten email notifications to work with Huisun using ONVIF profile while connected to Hikvision NVR subnet? Seems like an easy task, but I can't get it work. Longse camera works on the other hand. When using Huisun with Hikvision profile emails do work, but then another issue with the secondary stream makes it unusable. So take pick your poison, either no emails or no secondary stream.
I don't own a NVR but from my understanding that some NVR operate its' own network unless you have least two camera lan ports on it that you are not using. Try connecting your network to one of the camera port and the NVR port to another camera port. You might have to go into NVR setting and disable PoE and route if it have that setting. Then you should be able to see all your camera plus NVR on same subnet from any of your computer or outside of your network however if your goal is to hide your cameras on your network then this will not work since it expose all your cameras on the network to outside network that is connect to it.

All my cameras are exposed but it protected with a good password and my router logs for any inbound traffic so anytime anyone doing a port scan or trying to log into any of my cameras, I will know about it. I see lots of attempts coming from mostly China and Russia.

Bill

klasipca

Banned
Reaction score
I don't own a NVR but from my understanding that some NVR operate its' own network unless you have least two camera lan ports on it that you are not using. Try connecting your network to one of the camera port and the NVR port to another camera port. You might have to go into NVR setting and disable PoE and route if it have that setting. Then you should be able to see all your camera plus NVR on same subnet from any of your computer or outside of your network however if your goal is to hide your cameras on your network then this will not work since it expose all your cameras on the network to outside network that is connect to it.
Bill
As I mentioned it works with Longse camera, but not Huisun, both are on NVR subnet (onvif profile) and I using motion detection configured via NVR, not within cams.

All my cameras are exposed but it protected with a good password and my router logs for any inbound traffic so anytime anyone doing a port scan or trying to log into any of my cameras, I will know about it. I see lots of attempts coming from mostly China and Russia.

Bill
Oh oh, just don't tell @fenderman that, he is under impression that no one does this and it's not a security issue when you have exposed url in the camera firmware.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Oh oh, just don't tell @fenderman that, he is under impression that no one does this and it's not a security issue when you have exposed url in the camera firmware.
I said most folks dont do it..its pointless on a camera with no sd card, live footage is rarely of any use. As far as those who do, they are being extremely foolish. Even if that hole is plugged there are likely many others that can be more devastating that a simple snapshot grab.

klasipca

Banned
Reaction score
The people I know who have IP cams simply port forward cams, they don't use any NVRs or BI server, just for viewing purposes (baby cams, driveway cams mainly) and/or SD recording. I've port forwarded before as well before I got into NVR game, but I only had a few cams back then.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
The people I know who have IP cams simply port forward cams, they don't use any NVRs or BI server, just for viewing purposes (baby cams, driveway cams mainly) and/or SD recording. I've port forwarded before as well before I got into NVR game, but I only had a few cams back then.
Then they are foolish...I dont see much of that...regardless, they should be using vpn...forwarding cams that get rare firmware updates months after exploits are reported if ever, is just asking for trouble.

TechBill

Known around here
Reaction score
All my cameras uses SD cards, I don't own a NVR and only use motion to record. I don't have any cameras indoor anyway or in area that is out of public view

Bill

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
All my cameras uses SD cards, I don't own a NVR and only use motion to record. I don't have any cameras indoor anyway or in area that is out of public view

Bill
Some of the exploits in the past have allowed network access. Use a vpn.

stoney7713

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
As I mentioned it works with Longse camera, but not Huisun, both are on NVR subnet (onvif profile) and I using motion detection configured via NVR, not within cams.

It's not a security issue or back door, it's a "feature"

So... should we all share our cams feeds? You know so we can watch each other all the time without having to peek through the knot hole in the fence?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
It's not a security issue or back door, it's a "feature"

So... should we all share our cams feeds? You know so we can watch each other all the time without having to peek through the knot hole in the fence?
Its not a hole or backdoor if you properly implement the cameras......plugging this hole would only give you the appearance of security which is worse than a non secure camera.

stoney7713

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I'm just joking around really, no offense.

FWIW I noticed Hikvision cams came with uPnP enabled.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm just joking around really, no offense.

FWIW I noticed Hikvision cams came with uPnP enabled.
Yes, and as others they are slow to patch known vulnerabilities (not to mention the hacked cams that cannot be upgraded) that is why its pointless to rely on the cameras firmware for security.

klasipca

Banned
Reaction score
Then they are foolish...I dont see much of that...regardless, they should be using vpn...forwarding cams that get rare firmware updates months after exploits are reported if ever, is just asking for trouble.
I was trying to point to the fact it's quite common that you might think for people to port forward ports and understanding of vpn is either non existent or very limited.

Anyway, back to original topic, the current issue is basically

Hikvision profile: Email alerts work, no secondary stream
Onvif profile: No email alerts, secondary stream works